The long-awaited sequel to id Software’s 2016 Doom reboot is finally out and the action is taken up a step once more. So that you can kill all the demons in your way, here’s everything you need to know about how to upgrade weapons in Doom Eternal.
As you play through the game, you’ll come across a variety of new weapons. Starting with the basic shotgun, you’ll soon have a pulse rifle, a machine gun, and many others.
You can upgrade each one in a couple of different ways, giving you different options when in combat.
How to Upgrade Weapons in Doom Eternal
The main way of upgrading weapons is pretty simple. As you make your way through levels, you’ll come across floating robots that will be flashing blue. They’re quite easy to spot, but are missable.
Interacting with them with R3 will allow you to unlock a mod for your weapon of choice. For the Plasma Rifle, for example, you can unlock the ability to fire a heat blast with L2/LT or fire a concentrated beam of energy. You can unlock one of these at a weapon upgrade bot, so choose carefully.
However, you can then upgrade these weapon mods further by collecting Doom Eternal Weapon Points. Weapon Points are awarded throughout levels for completing all encounters – killing all enemies. There are 10 to earn in each level, but some are reserved for the far more difficult secret rooms and slayer levels.
You’ll likely get five or more in one level, so they crop up pretty regularly, helping you upgrade weapons a lot. You can then spend them by pressing the touch pad if you’re on PS4 (View button on Xbox One) and using R1/RB to tab over to your Arsenal.
Then, press X/A on the mod you want to upgrade, then spend however many you like on the two options.
Then finally, to upgrade weapons, there’s a mod mastery option that unlocks once you’ve bought all mods and upgrades, and completed a challenge.
For example, one of the Combat Shotgun mastery challenges is to “kill 15 Pinkies with the Full Auto mod” which unlocks the ability to see an enemy drop shotgun shells when killed using the Full Auto mod.
Time needed: 2 minutes.
In short, to upgrade weapons in Doom Eternal
- Find Weapon Mod robots to start the process.
- Buy a mod and then kill every enemy you can find in a level to get Weapon Points.
- Spend those points on upgrades that unlock the mastery challenges, which max out your weapon upgrades.
- New Doom Eternal The Ancient Gods Gameplay Trailer Revealed
- DOOM Eternal Adds Render Modes to Make Your Screenshots Look Even More Awesome
- DOOM Eternal The Ancient Gods Expansion Revealed in New Teaser
- Doom Eternal, Elder Scrolls Online Coming to PS5 & Xbox Series X
- Why Doom Eternal’s Easy Mode Is Actually Its Most Satisfying