How to Taunt in Smash Bros Ultimate
If you’ve played a Smash game in the past, then you’re no doubt familiar with the ins and outs of its gameplay systems. If Smash Bros Ultimate is your first, however, or you haven’t played the series in a while, you might need a refresher on a few things. This includes knowing how to taunt in Smash Bros Ultimate.
We’ll let you know just how to do that.
Luckily, taunting is super easy to do in Smash Bros Ultimate, as all you need to do is hit any of the four directions on your D-Pad, for whichever controller you’re playing with. Doing this will cause your character to play out a short little taunt that lasts about four seconds.
Taunting doesn’t serve any functional purpose in Smash Bros Ultimate outside of just being showy and fun to do. There are three different taunts for each and every character in Smash Bros Ultimate; one assigned to up on the D-Pad, one assigned to down, and one assigned to left or right.
However, there are a number of Easter Eggs in the game that can be found from doing taunts. To do these taunt Easter Eggs, you’ll need to fill specific requirements and the always hit down quickly on the D-Pad, just a very quick very light tap. Here are the ones we know of.
- While playing as a Star Fox character on Lylat Cruise, hit down quickly to hear a conversation between Star Fox characters. Most of these are from Star Fox Assault, and there are multiple conversations.
- While playing as a Star Fox character on Corneria, hit down quickly to hear a conversation between Star Fox characters. Most of these are from Star Fox 64, and there are multiple conversations.
- While playing as a Star Fox character on Venom, hit down quickly to hear a conversation between Star Fox characters. There are multiple conversations.
- Play as Snake on Shadow Moses Island and go up against any character that appeared in Super Smash Bros Brawl (this only works with Brawl characters). Hit down on the D-Pad and Snake will have a quick Codec conversation about the opposing character.
- Play as Pit on Palutena’s Temple and hit down on the D-pad quickly. This will cause Viridi and Palutena to have a “Palutena’s Judgement” conversation with Pit about the character you’re going up against. There’s a unique conversation for every character in the game.
That’s anything and everything you need to know about how to taunt in Smash Bros Ultimate. For even more tips, tricks, and guides, make sure to take a look at our ever-expanding Smash Bros Ultimate wiki. It’s full of everything you might need, from help on the World of Light Adventure Mode like how to get the true ending or how to beat Dracula, to how to take Spirits online.
Question: How do you taunt in Smash Bros Ultimate?
Answer: Taunting is easy. All you need to do is hit any of the four directions on your D-Pad, for whichever controller you’re using to play Smash Bros Ultimate.