How to Upgrade Your Weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2
Red Dead Redemption 2 takes you back to 1899 America, right near the end of the Wild West era. A prequel to the original game, Red Dead Redemption 2 follows Arthur Morgan, a member of the notorious Dutch Van Der Linde Gang that John Marston served in. The sequel basically doubles down on everything from the first game, providing a more complex world and more options than ever before. This translates to the guns and weaponry you have access to, both in terms of how many there are as well as how you’re able to upgrade them. Here’s how to upgrade your weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2.
To upgrade your weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2 you’ll first need to find an arms dealer. These shops can be found in towns across the world of Red Dead Redemption 2, so simply look for one on your map and head there. When interacting with the shopkeeper choose the “Customize” option. This will allow you to purchase things like iron sights, better grips, and more for many weapons.
Being able to upgrade your weapon will then, in turn, improve different aspects for you during combat. It depends on which upgrade you apply to your guns. Once you’ve bought an upgrade it’ll automatically be equipped, so you don’t have to worry about going into the menu and finding the upgrade or anything. We’ve included all weapon upgrades or customization options you can choose from below, and listed exactly what improvements they’ll make to their combat efficiency.
All Weapon Upgrades & What They Do
- Barrel Length – By opting for a long barrel on weapons where this upgrade option is available, the weapon will have increased accuracy.
- Grip – This is simply a cosmetic customization option that doesn’t affect how your weapon fires. You can get some seriously badass-looking grips for your guns, though, the further you get in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Barrel Rifling – If you choose to go for the Improved Rifling weapon upgrade in Red Dead Redemption 2, your weapon range is increased by 10%. Damage fall-off is also increased by 10%.
- Iron Sights – Improved iron sights, as you might have guessed, will increase your weapon accuracy.
- Scopes – This one’s pretty self-explanatory. You have three different scopes to choose from: Short, Medium, and Long. This determines the amount of zoom you’ll get when aiming down sights.
- Stock – The stock customization option in Red Dead Redemption 2 is another cosmetic change. It’ll just give you a different grain texture on your weapon’s stock, should it have one.
- Wrap – A leather wrap helps to keep your weapon in good condition, and reduces the rate of weapon degradation by 10%. A solid weapon upgrade if you have the cash.
There are a wide array of weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2, from sawed-off shotguns and revolvers to long-range rifles and even a bow. It’s important to have the right tools for each situation, so you should consider upgrading more than one weapon, so you can adapt how you need to. Of course, you’ll need plenty of money to upgrade everything you want, and luckily we can help with that.
Also keep in mind that your weapons will degrade over time so you’ll need to know how to maintain and clean them, especially if you don’t want those upgrades you purchased to go to waste. You are able to upgrade your holsters in Red Dead Redemption 2, reducing the amount of wear they get.
That covers everything you need to know about how to upgrade your weapons in Red Dead Redemption 2. If you have any other related questions, ask them down in the comments below. You can also take a look at our extensive Red Dead Redemption 2 wiki for even more tips, tricks, and guides.