As you’re out and about exploring the world in Red Dead Redemption 2, you’ll find a number of NPCs looking for help with a variety of different activities. One of the ones you’ll likely find early on in your adventure is a quest called ‘A Test of Faith’ that tasks you with helping an amateur paleontologist Deborah MacGuiness in finding dinosaur bones. Here’s where to find all dinosaur bones locations in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Getting the Quest
Before you can help Deborah MacGuiness with her paleontology studies, you’ll first need to find the quest itself.
During our time in Red Dead Redemption 2, we found that heading southeast of our camp at Horseshoe Overlook led to us finding her. Specifically, you’re wanting to head east of the roads that join together to make a triangle.
You might also notice a white area on your map with a question mark in the center. This indicates that there is a stranger who requires help nearby.
Chances are if you see this near the intersection of roads described above, you’ll meet Deborah digging up a dinosaur bone and you can speak with her to begin the quest.
Where to Find All Dinosaur Bones Locations in Red Dead Redemption 2
There’s a total of 30 dinosaur bones to be found littered across Red Dead Redemption 2’s map, and they’re incredibly tricky to find. Fortunately, we managed to track them all down, and have included a full list of where to find all dinosaur bones locations below.
Heartlands Dinosaur Bones
- Oil Derrick Bone – You can find one at the bottom of the well underneath the oil derrick in the center of this location.
- Head west of Dewberry creek and you’ll spot another of these just in the open. From the one at the oil derrick, this dinosaur bone is southeast.
- Grassy Hill Bone – Head directly south from the oil derrick until you reach the train line running southeast from Flatneck station. Just north of here, you’ll be able to find another of the dinosaur bones on a grassy hill.
- Heartlands South Gorge Bone – For this next one, you’ll need to go southwest of Valentine and head for Dakota river. Here, you’ll come across a rock cliff, as you venture out towards the notch of land that the river bends around. This bone location can be found at the foot of the cliff here.
- Heartlands Abandoned Shack Bone – Head north of Emerald Station and follow the path that takes you up towards the train line. Just before this, you’ll come across an abandoned cabin. This dinosaur bone can be found on the ground just south of it.
- Head north of Valentine and look for the large cliff. You need to get right to the top of here to find the next of the dinosaur bones right next to the edge.
- There’s only one of the dinosaur bones locations to find here, and it’s actually south of the one at Dewberry Creek we mentioned earlier. Literally head to the L in Lemoyne on your map, and you’ll find it on the bottom of it out in the open.
Big Valley Dinosaur Bones Locations in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Look at your map. You want to head between the ‘W’ and ‘E’ in West Elizabeth. You’ll find this one on the rocky slope of a hill out in the open.
- For this next one, you’re going to have to head south of the previous one to Mount Shann. Halfway up, where the path curves in what looks like an S shape, you’ll find this dinosaur bone in a bunch of rocks. That’s another coordinate to send to Deborah!
- For this next one, you’re heading northwest of Wallace Station towards the train line just north of here running east-west. Here, you should come across Mount Hagen. Don’t worry, you don’t need to climb up here. Instead, you’re looking for a cave at the bottom. Head inside to find another of the dinosaur bones locations in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Grizzlies Dinosaur Bones Locations
- Heading north of Valentine, cross Dakota river where you found the one on the cliff in the Heartlands previously. Literally on the other side of the river, you’ll come across a cliff. This one can be found at the foot of the rocky cliff here.
- You’ll need to head to the Calumet Rivine for this one. It’s literally at the bottom of the ‘I’ in ‘Ambarino’ on your map. You’re looking for a bunch of red rocks, and at the top of the hill here, you’ll find the next of your dinosaur bones.
- Head east of Window Rock and follow the edge of the river. You’re looking for a small ledge below the top of the cliff here. The dinosaur bone is sat here waiting to be found.
- Head west of O’Creagh’s Run and look for the overlook to this body of water. Just on the ridgeline of the overlook, you’ll find this one. If looking at your map, you want to head for the ‘S’ in ‘East’ of ‘Grizzlies East’.
Cholla Springs Dinosaur Bones Locations
- You’re heading to the very north boundary of this area. West of Twin Rocks and north of the first ‘S’ in Springs on your map. Right up against the boundary, you’ll find a rock wall at the base of a hill. The dinosaur bone is waiting for you here.
- Head to Jorge’s Gap and then start making your way southwest. You’re looking for a small hill that’s got some bushes on it. The dinosaur bone can be found partly concealed by these bushes.
Hennigan’s Stead Dinosaur Bones
- Head to the canyon and south of the first ‘N’ in ‘Hennigan’s Stead’ on your map. Make your way to the west end of the canyon and look for a little elevated plateau. Clamber up here to find the next of the dinosaur bones for Deborah in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- You’re now going to head south towards the San Luis river. Specifically, just above where the ‘San’ is on the river itself on your map. You’ll also see a little island in the water. Just above the shore here, you’ll find the next one.
Cumberland Forest Dinosaur Bones
- Head to Six Point overlook just south of the ‘C’ on your map in this location’s name. You’ll need to head to the top of the cliff and make your way right over to the edge to find this one.
- For this one, make your way to Bacchus Station. Literally just southwest of here, you’ll see a stone spike at the top of a cliff. Head up here to find the dinosaur bone just next to it.
Roanoke Ridge Dinosaur Bone Locations
- Head west of where you see ‘Roanoke Valley’ on your map and south of where the train track and path intersect. You’re looking for a small plateau just south of the railway bridge.
- Now look for the larger ‘Roanoke Ridge’ noted down on your map. There’s a road that runs through the ‘a’ in this location’s name. Where this intersects with the road running north. You’ll now see a path that heads towards the Brandywine Drop waterfall. Look for the cliff that overlooks this path to find the next dinosaur bone.
- To the west of Kamassas River, just north of the Elysian Pool, you’ll see a bunch of cliffs. You’re looking to reach that middle level, head on there and you’ll find the next of the dinosaur bones.
- Follow the path northwest of the Van Horn Trading Post. It’ll join together with another road heading north. Where these two roads join, just to the west, you’ll find another of the bones on the ground at the edge of a clearing.
Rio Bravo Dinosaur Bone Locations
- Head to the very eastern tip of Rio Del Lobo rock to find this bone on a slope.
- Directly south of the ‘B’ in Bravo on your map you’ll find a big rock. Clamber to the top of this and you’ll be overlooking Fort Mercer to the north. The dinosaur bone is sitting up here.
Gaptooth Ridge Dinosaur Bones in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Take the road north out of Tumbleweed that’ll take you between the ‘D’ and ‘G’ in ‘Ridge’ on your map. This should bring you to the vicinity of a cliff that overlooks the canyon here. At the top of the cliff, and on the east side you’ll find this bone.
- Finally, just south of Tumbleweed, you’ll find another plateau that overlooks this locale. It’s directly below the ‘L’ on the map here. Head to the southeast section of this to find your final dinosaur bone for Deborah.
How to Give Bones to Deborah
You don’t actually give the dinosaur bones to Deborah by hand in Red Dead Redemption 2. Instead, once you’ve found and interacted with one, Arthur will jot down the coordinates. Then, it’s simply a case of heading to a post office in any town, and sending the coordinates for Deborah.
As she mentions when you first meet her in Red Dead Redemption 2, you’ll be rewarded handsomely for your efforts.
By sending her the coordinates to one, you’ll receive a Quartz Chunk, for 15, you’ll be sent a Skull Statue. And finally, at 30, you’ll receive an invitation in the post to her ranch at Firwood Rise. Head to here and you’ll be given the Jawbone Knife. Not too shabby at all for some fossil hunting.
And there you now have everything you need to know to complete the ‘A Test of Faith’ quest in Red Dead Redemption 2 and find all dinosaur bones locations in the game. If you’re looking to complete all of the rock carvings, too, we’ve got a complete list of all rock carvings locations in Red Dead Redemption 2, as well.
For more tips, tricks, and information on Rockstar’s western epic, be sure to check out our comprehensive Red Dead Redemption 2 guide wiki. We’ve got guides on Fishing, Hunting, Bounties, and a whole lot more.