Square Enix announced via a press release today that Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition, along with the Windows Edition PC counterpart, will be releasing on Mar. 6. While the Windows Edition is exclusive to PC, the Royal Edition will be made available for the PS4 and Xbox One.
Why, you ask, should you double dip if you’ve already played the game when it was originally released back in 2016? Well, for starters, it includes a heck of a lot of new content. This includes a larger explorable map in Insomnia, which comes with more side quests, enemies, and bosses. It’ll also include “a fully-controllable Royal Vessel boat” which lets you sail around the world of Eos, while you also discover new fish for Noctis to catch. The Royal Edition will also include a first-person mode, letting you literally see the world through the eyes of Noctis.
Those are just the highlights, too. Here’s what you can expect from the Royal and Windows Editions:
- Expanded Map: Insomnia City Ruins – all-new side quests and enemies such as Cerberus and Omega will be available through the expanded map of the Crown City of Insomnia. Players will also take on the Rulers of Yore.
- A fully-controllable Royal Vessel boat, expanding the world of Eos and allowing players to explore the area between Cape Caem and Altissia. Players will also be able to fish aboard the vessel and discover new fishes and dishes.
- A new accessory that can activate the new action “Armiger Unleashed” – players will be able to unleash powerful attacks while the Armiger is summoned. After collecting all of the royal arms, players will be able to find an accessory in an unidentified part of the world, enabling access to Armiger Unleashed.
- A new first-person camera mode, allowing players to experience the game from Noctis’ perspective.
- More than a dozen pieces of downloadable content including weapons, Regalia car skins and item sets
- All season pass content including EPISODE GLADIOLUS, EPISODE PROMPTO, MULTIPLAYER EXPANSION: COMRADES** and EPISODE IGNIS
- Archive – players can review the “Cosmogony” stories scattered throughout the FINAL FANTASY XV world. Additional local myths and legends will also be placed in various new locations, allowing players to obtain more information about the world.
- Quest to obtain and Strengthen Regalia Type-D
- New Trophies
- The FINAL FANTASY XV base game
Square Enix did not mention if the extra content would be available as DLC for players who have already purchased the original game. There’s also an announcement trailer, which you can check out down below.
Final Fantasy XV is already available on PS4 and Xbox One. The Royal Edition and Windows Edition will be released on Mar. 6.