Today third-party developers had a bunch of interesting news to share about upcoming add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Below you can read the features we can expect and enjoy a ton of screenshots. It will be priced at a rather affordable €27.95.
Custom-programmed simulated fly-by-wire control system for virtually carefree flight control
- Auto-trim / pitch control
- Roll rate limiter
- Yaw limiter
- Synthesised thrust vectoring performance and pitch manoeuvrability with smooth control responses up to 90 degrees angle of attack, and controllability at 20 knots or less without stall roll-off effects
- Use of new computational fluid dynamics modelling for improved aerodynamic responses
- Highly resistant to departure from controlled flight throughout the flight envelope
- Precision, stable high altitude flight control to 60,000 feet and above
- Take-off/Approach mode (landing gear down) ensures more docile control for virtually effortless handling during take-off and landing approaches
- Custom-modelled autoflap system
- Accurately modelled take-off, approach and landing speeds
- Low speed / high alpha aerobatic manoeuvres possible; J-turns, pedal turns, power loop etc.
Highly detailed fully custom 3D cockpit modelling with:
- Highly detailed modelling and texturing of cockpit, control panel and ICP/HUD module
- Detailed ejection seat model
- Highly detailed Head-Up Display (HUD) based on Air Force specifications and real world F-22A primary HUD navigation mode display
- Fully functional SMFDs and PMFD (using fully customised instrumentation suite) including moving map, customised traffic display, fuel menu, stores management etc.
- Fully functional and customised ICP module with many features and functions
- Canopy interior reflections and rain effects
- Most buttons, knobs and switches are animated and many are functional
- Full suite of essential autopilot and navigation controls
- Functional engine management controls in SMFDs and in cockpit
- Full cockpit lighting and HUD lighting controls including normal lighting and simulated night vision goggle compatible lighting colour
- Customised airspeed and angle-of-attack gauges (to correct default game inaccuracies)
- Numerous additional customised screens and gauges with CAS messages and alerting system
- ‘Hidden’ G3000 navigation screen included to allow in-flight flight planning and course changes
Detailed custom 3D exterior model
- Highly detailed 3D exterior model
- Detailed, highly accurate custom texturing including metallic, semi-metallic and non-metallic surface texturing effects
- Animation and conditional animation sequences for all flight control
- Detailed and fully animated landing gear and extension/retraction sequence with accurate movement sequences and timing
- Weapon bay door animations and missile rail animations
- Optional stores configuration available to simulate loading, placement and display of 6 x AIM 120D and 2 x Aim 9X missiles (non-MSFS Marketplace version only)
- Optionally displayed, detailed drop tank models to simulate 2 x 600 gallon external fuel loads
- Custom dynamic visual effects including condensation and g-vapour effects, afterburner flame and lighting effects, engine starter flame/smoke and others
- Cold and dark visual modelling features (boarding ladder, remove before flight tags etc.) that are user controlled
- Thrust vectoring animations with animated afterburner flame effect
- Pilot figure (can be optionally displayed when aircraft is cold/dark)
- Custom canopy reflections and tinting
- Full exterior lighting systems include custom landing and taxi lighting, electroluminescent formation lighting, navigation lights and beacons, all modeled after the actual aircraft, with correct lighting positions and timing
- Three detailed liveries (Langley, Hickam and Elmendorf)
Engine and performance modelling based on USAF specifications
- Accurate weight and fuel quantities (includes additional fuel to simulate 2 x 600 gallon ferry drop tanks)
- Engine model tuned to realistic specifications for thrust and performance
- Modelled fuel consumption in line with real world specifications in both dry and afterburning thrust
- Drag and lift model tuned to estimated specifications
- Mach 2.4+ maximum speed (will reach or exceed Mach 2.6) at optimum altitude
- Mach 1.7+ supercruise capability at optimum altitude
- Supersonic climb to high altitude
- Incredible acceleration rates at maximum throttle
- Supersonic capability up to 60,000 feet and above
- Service ceiling modelled to approx. 70,000 feet
- Accurate fuel consumption and maximum range at all altitudes (not based on the default sim turbine model, but customised to improve accuracy of turbine fuel consumption and thrust)
Other features and included items
- VR headset compatible
- User manual with essential ‘how to’ guide and a guide to performing aerobatic manoeuvres seen performed by real-life Raptor Demo Team demonstrations
- A ‘No-FBW’ model compatible with keyboard-only use and non-standardised control input devices. A completely separate flight physics model based on the native Asobo FBW module, but performs nearly as well as the standard model.
- Three custom liveries with markings for real-world aircraft from Elmendorf AFB in Alaska, Langley AFB in Virginia, and Hickam AFB in Hawaii. More liveries will be developed and posted for free and/or included in subsequent updates.
- Custom sound set using real world F-22A sound samples, custom sounds and use of native SuperHornet sounds for specific effects
- Commitment by the developers to provide a variety of future improvements and upgrades to the model based on community feedback
“Last week saw an important milestone in the life of FS Traffic as we released the first beta build to our testing team. Other important changes made recently include the implementation of a new in-sim menu system designed to give you some control over your traffic options in real-time, and further improvements to the traffic generated at your arrival destination. We’ve also received flight plan data covering late June 2022 and we are busy integrating this into the program.
In the past few months we have had a team of artists helping paint our traffic fleet. To ensure global coverage we tasked them with creating over 700 liveries covering many different airlines. With 70% of the liveries now complete, the work is shifting from the twin engine narrow bodies to the widebodies and regional airliners. Alongside this we have also been setting up the external lighting and the interactive points which allow the ground services and jet bridges to connect to the AI aircraft
We aim to supply regular updates now as we edge closer to release. These images are of course WIP but are representative of where things stand currently. Enjoy the pics!”
Last, but not least, Simulación Extrema has published new screenshots of of upcoming apart in Argentina, coming for both PC and Xbox, Córdoba Ingeniero Aeronáutico Ambrosio L.V. Taravella International Airport (SACO).
If you’d like to learn more about Microsoft Flight Simulator, you can check out our brand new interview with head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann about the 40th Anniversary Edition, the world update, and more.
If you’re curious about Microsoft Flight Simulator add-ons, you can enjoy our recent reviews of Beijing Capital International Airport, Anchorage International Airport, Fenix’s Airbus A320, West Virginia International Yeager Airport, Kansai International Airport, Toronto Pearson Airport, the Twin Otter, Auckland International Airport, Skiathos Airport, Athens International Airport, Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport, Amami Airport, Bristol Airport, Marrakech Menara Airport, Great Britain Central, Tehran Imam Khomeini Airport, Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, Shanghai Pudong Airport, Kraków Airport, Fukuoka City & Airport, Fort Lauderdale Airport, Chongqing City & Airport, Manila Airport, Santiago Airport, the Frankfurt City Pack, Key West Airport, the Okavango Delta, Bali Airport, London Oxford Airport, Berlin Brandenburg Airport, the CRJ 550/700, the PA-28R Arrow III, Kristiansand Airport, Macau City & Airport, Bonaire Flamingo Airport, Milano Linate Airport, the Singapore City Pack, Tokyo Narita Airport, Yao Airport, the F-15 Eagle, the Paris City Pack, Greater Moncton Airport, Tweed New Haven Airport, Santorini Airport, Sydney Airport, Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Reggio Calabria Airport, Bastia Poretta Airport, Munich Airport, Paris Orly Airport, Newcastle International Airport, Sankt Johann Airfield, Dublin International Airport, and Seoul City Wow.
We also recently published a review of the Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition, which is a great controller for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
If you want to learn more about the game itself, you can read our review which will tell you everything you need to know about Asobo Studio’s game.