Today third-party developers released new assets and details about upcoming add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Here’s what you can expect from the aircraft:
Highly detailed fully customized 3D cockpit modeling
- Highly detailed modeling and texturing of the entire cockpit, control panel, and ICP/HUD module
- Animated Canopy
- In-game live traffic air traffic display overlay
- Canopy interior reflections and rain effects
- Fully animated and functional cockpit – key controls and almost all buttons, knobs, and switches are functional or animated.
- Fully customized normal and night vision goggle (NVG) cockpit lighting controls and emissive lighting.
- All cockpit controls up to date with latest MSFS 2020 cockpit interaction functionality.
- Full VR functionality and compatibility.
Carefully Detailed Custom 3D Exterior Model
- Highly accurate 3D modeling and texturing
- Detailed animated landing gear and landing gear bays
- Detailed weapons bays with animated door open / close function
- Multiple liveries with high resolution real world derived custom texturing
- Animation of all flight control surfaces.
- Custom pilot figure.
- Afterburner and exhaust heat plume effects
- Afterburner flame plume animated to move with thrust vectoring motion
- Detailed engine nozzle animations with simulated thrust vectoring movements
- Visible wingtip and flight surface wake vortex, mach vapor, contrail, and other visual effects modeled
- Custom canopy reflections and tinting
- Customized Exterior Lighting system include custom landing and taxi lighting,
- electroluminescent formation lighting, navigation lights, and beacons; all modeled after the actual aircraft, with correct lighting positions.
- Fully animated, functional tailhook.
- Cold and Dark aircraft control surface animations and protective equipment displayed
- Multiplayer compatible (amazing fun to fly formation with this aircraft).
Custom Coded Simulated Fly-By-Wire control system providing virtually carefree flight control
- Auto-trim / pitch control (point and shoot pitch control)
- Roll rate limiter
- Yaw control and limiter
- Exceptional maneuverability and smooth post-stall pitch control responses up to 90 degrees angle of attack with controllability at air speeds as low as 20 KIAS. Custom programming replicates, the best we can within the game, a thrust vectoring control system.
- Low speed high alpha aerobatic maneuvers possible: pedal turns, kulbit maneuver, tail slide, herbst maneuver, high alpha pass, and others.
- Resistant to departures from controlled flight throughout the flight envelope.
- Precision high altitude flight control possible up to 65,000 feet and above.
- Takeoff / Approach mode (landing gear down) ensures precise control for ease of handling during take-off and landing approaches.
Highly Immersive Fully Custom Programmed Avionics Suite
- Fully functional and complete avionics suite allowing for IFR navigation and IMC flying
- Fully functional Head Up Display (HUD) replicating real world primary HUD display for the F-22A
- Fully functional Integrated Control Panel (Up front Controller) with many functions and capabilities.
- Fully functional autopilot and navigation modes
- Fully functional engine controls with start-up and shut down procedures
- Fully functioning high detail multi-function displays (MFDs) and primary flight display (PFD) with screens replicating several real-world Raptor screen display modes
- Custom coded Airspeed (accurate at high Mach number), Autothrottle, and other coding done to overcome limitations of the MSFS 2020 physics engine and provide a more accurate, realistic experience.
- Non-spec Garmin based flight planning module included (hidden until activated) to allow in-flight route planning and waypoint management for ease of navigation.
Engine and Performance Modeling based on detailed research on USAF specifications and expert estimates
- Accurate weight and fuel quantities: includes additional fuel to simulate 2 x 600 gallon ferry tanks
- Engine model tuned to realistic specifications for thrust and performance.
- Drag and lift model tuned to estimated specifications.
- Landings and takeoffs at real-world estimated aoa targets and speeds
- Mach 2.4+ maximum speed
- Mach 1.8+ supercruise capability
- Supersonic climb to high altitude
- Incredible acceleration rates at full throttle.
- Supersonic capability to 65,000 feet and above
- Fuel consumption and maximum range at all altitudes and throttle settings within published specifications
- We’ve done our best to replicate the estimated and publicly stated performance limits of the Raptor within the limits of MSFS 2020.
- MSFS native format checklists to assist with key aircraft procedures and enabling quick start functionality.
- Custom cameras for flat screen and VR use.
- A detailed user manual and information about the F-22A
- Customized sounds with real-world F-22A samples for key sound effects – sounds like the real aircraft.
The aircraft will be initially available only in the official marketplace even if the developer is considering additional storefronts in the future. Version 1.0 should be available by the end of Q1 2022, while beta testing should start by the end of January or the beginning of February.
Last, but not least, we go to Africa with Africa4FS, which released a new trailer of Kotoka International Airport (DGAA) in Accra, the capital of Ghana.
This is a pre-beta testing work-in-progress version of the airport, so the final release should be even better.
Recently, we published our latest interview with head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann and we heard more about Microsoft’s plans for the next few months, including World Update Australia.
If you’d like to read more about Microsoft Flight Simulator add-ons, you can enjoy our recent reviews of the Twin Otter, Auckland International Airport, Skiathos Airport, Athens International Airport, Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport, Amami Airport, Bristol Airport, Marrakech Menara Airport, Great Britain Central, Tehran Imam Khomeini Airport, Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, Shanghai Pudong Airport, Kraków Airport, Fukuoka City & Airport, Fort Lauderdale Airport, Chongqing City & Airport, Manila Airport, Santiago Airport, the Frankfurt City Pack, Key West Airport, the Okavango Delta, Bali Airport, London Oxford Airport, Berlin Brandenburg Airport, the CRJ 550/700, the PA-28R Arrow III, Kristiansand Airport, Macau City & Airport, Bonaire Flamingo Airport, Milano Linate Airport, the Singapore City Pack, Tokyo Narita Airport, Yao Airport, the F-15 Eagle, the Paris City Pack, Greater Moncton Airport, Tweed New Haven Airport, Santorini Airport, Sydney Airport, Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Reggio Calabria Airport, Bastia Poretta Airport, Munich Airport, Paris Orly Airport, Newcastle International Airport, Sankt Johann Airfield, Dublin International Airport, and Seoul City Wow. We also have a beta preview of Singapore Changi airport.
If you want to learn more about the game itself, you can read our review that will tell you everything you need to know about Asobo Studio’s game.