With the recent news of the Pokemon GO Battle League, it’s finally time to make sure your PVP teams are the best that they can be. This competitive format is going to be all about having the right Pokemon. The leagues will rotate throughout battle seasons, so you gotta make sure you have the best Pokemon at each level to come out on top. Here are the best Great, Ultra & Master League Pokemon.
Best Great, Ultra & Master League Pokemon in Pokemon GO
The Pokemon GO Battle League preseason is going to start off with the Great League, then move to Ultra and come back around to the Great League. This rotation is expected to happen every season, but not necessarily in that order.
Since they’re going to be starting out with the Great League, that’s where we’ll start in our analysis.
- Just because Altaria hasn’t seen much play in PvE, it doesn’t mean it’s a slouch in PvP. Its access to Dragon Breath and Sky Attack, and its impressive stats make is a fearsome foe.
- Lock On doesn’t do much damage, but it charges Flash Cannon and Focus Blast ridiculously fast. Registeel is also bulky enough to act as a wall against your opponent.
- Azumarill is another good tank for the Great League. Bubble and Hydro Pump are solid Water-type moves and Play Rough helps Azumarill get over Fighting, Dragon and Dark-type Pokemon.
- Defense Forme Deoxys
- Again, another master of the bulk dominates most of the Great League. Defense Forme Deoxys has a ridiculously good defense and can actually take on some Dark-types with Counter.
- Tropius is a region-exclusive Pokemon, but finding one is worth the effort. Its access to powerful Grass (Leaf Blade) and Flying-type (Aerial Ace, Air Slash) moves make it a versatile option.
- Hitmontop’s good stats paired with Fighting-type moves and Stone Edge makes this capoeira-practicing Pokemon a solid attacker that can mess up many different opposing teams.
- Alolan Marowak
- Alolan Marowak has an uncommon typing of Ghost/Fire. This gives it access to overpowered moves like Fire Spin and Shadow Ball. Bone Club adds one more type advantage for this versatile attacker.
- Flying/Steel is always a great combination in the mainline games and the same is true with Skarmory in Pokemon GO. Besides its typing, Skarmory has access to some of the best Steel and Flying-type attacks in the game.
- Heracros is another region-exclusive that you need to get on your team. It will get destroyed by Flying Pokemon, but Close Combat and Megahorn are strong enough to make Heracross worth using.
- Hariyama is big and bulky and can dish out major damage. Its Fighting-type attacks are solid, but you need to give it Heavy Slam to deal with those pesky Fairy-type Pokemon.
Ultra League – Best League Pokemon in Pokemon GO
- Origin Forme Giratina
- Giratina owns the top of the Ultra League. It’s ridiculously strong statistically and has the best Ghost-type moveset of Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball. This beast can roll over most opponents.
- Altered Forme Giratina
- Altered Forme Giratina is a different beast altogether since it favors defense and doesn’t have Shadow Ball. It can still outlast other Pokemon with the moveset it has even though it’s not overpowered.
- Cresselia keeps the Gen 4 legendary train going with its bulk and diverse moveset. Of course, it has a Psychic-type move, but it also can change things up with the Ice-type Aurora Beam and the Fairy-type Moonblast.
- Registeel is high on this list for the same reasons that it’s on the Great League list. Lock On is great for charging up your stronger moves and this thing is a nearly immovable wall.
- If you didn’t want to get a Heracross before, then you’ll really want one now. The strength of this Pokemon can’t be understated and it’s even better in the Ultra League with fewer high tier Flying-types.
- This is the most versatile Pokemon in the game thanks to its massive movepool of nearly 40 different attacks. Cover its Ghost weakness with Shadow Claw, then blow opponents away with Overheat or Psychic.
- Regirock is essentially the Rock-type version of Registeel. Use Lock On to charge your stronger moves, then use a move that gets STAB (Stone Edge) and one to cover its weakness (Focus Blast).
- Swampert is a special case that can be great if it has the right moves. Mud Shot and Earthquake are no-brainers for this Pokemon, but you’ll also want to get one with the Community Day move Hydro Cannon.
- Alolan Muk
- The Poison/Dark typing is fairly uncommon in Pokemon, and it’s a big reason why Alolan Muk is a nice wall against Ghost-types. It’s a fantastic wall against both Giratinas and most Ultra League Pokemon.
- Armored Mewtwo
- Armored Mewtwo is one versatile tank. Just send it out there and if your opponent is weak against Psychic, Rock or Fighting-type moves, then they’ll be in for a bad time.
- Origin Forme Giratina
- Part of the reason why Giratina rules the Master and Ultra Leagues is its unique typing. Its powerful moveset and stats make it one of the most dangerous attackers in Pokemon GO.
- Much like Giratina, one of Dialga’s major advantages is its uncommon typing of Dragon/Steel. It has great coverage with Dragon, Steel and Electric-type moves and can outlast almost any Pokemon.
- Mewtwo is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game and is the best Psychic-type. The charge move Psystrike makes this a fearsome opponent and Ice Beam is great against the powerful Dragons in the Master League.
- Togekiss isn’t a Dragon wrecker even though it’s a Fairy type. Instead, it just survives long enough to not get KO’d before Dialga, Dragonite and the others. Also, Ancient Power is a must for a potential Defense boost.
- There’s nothing too tricky about Dragonite here. It’s just a massively powerful Pokemon with all Dragon-type moves. Make sure yours has Draco Meteor to inflict massive damage.
- When it comes to Water-types, you can’t beat Kyogre. Waterfall and Surf take out tons of different Pokemon and Blizzard can wipe out even the most powerful Dragon-types if they’re not ready for it.
- Garchomp is one of the newest Pokemon on the list, but it has already made a massive impact. It’s one of the best Ground-type attackers and Outrage can inflict massive damage to most opponents.
- The old reliable sleepy boy, Snorlax, is one of the best defenders in the game. It can outlast most Pokemon, lick gives it a little bit of an advantage over Ghosts, and Earthquake can deal out massive damage to a variety of opponents.
- Altered Forme Giratina
- The more bulky version of Giratina is a bit lower in the Master League, but it’s still a dangerous Pokemon. Just like with Togekiss, you’ll want to give Giratina Ancient Power for that chance of a Defense boost.
- Melmetal is not exceptionally easy to obtain, but it’s worth the effort of catching all those Meltan. Superpower helps it take on Dialga. Thundershock and Rock Slide help it take on a fellow wall in Togekiss but look out for Flamethrower.
Those are all the best Pokemon for the Great, Ultra & Master Leagues in Pokemon GO. Keep in mind that these are subject to change as Pokemon learn new moves and as new creatures are introduced into the game. Battle hard and don’t forget to shield!