Ah, shotguns in Destiny 2. Everyone loves them in PvE, but they have consistently been on the top of the list of frustrating ways to die in PvP. They are popular for a reason: they are really good. So let’s go over the best shotguns in Destiny 2 for PvE, PvP, and Gambit.
Shotguns are in a great place right now and there’s a lot of diversity between what you would use in PvE content and what you would use for Crucible AKA PvP.
In PvE the total damage for something like Legend of Acrius is incredible if you can afford to use it over some of the longer range power weapons that are frequently needed and you have the catalyst for it. It’s particularly great in Last Wish which has a lot of close-up encounters. Otherwise, Lord of Wolves wrecks as well without taking up a power slot.
If you want to go with something traditional in your energy slot, any of the stalwarts over the last year: Ikelos_SG, Badlander, and Threat Level are all solid choices. If you can get a perk like One-Two Punch or Swashbuckler, definitely hang onto it as those perks are great for PvE.
The Garden of Salvation raid shotgun added in Shadowkeep, Prophet of Doom, can roll with One-Two Punch and other choice perks.
Tractor Cannon does what Tractor Cannon does. It boops things, but more importantly it applies defense down debuffs which have become an important part of the raid meta in Destiny 2 since its buff even after Shadowkeep.
Season of Dawn brought back year 1 favorite, Hawthorne’s Field-Forged Shotgun which now has random rolls to go for as well. It also added Python, a nice-feeling aggressive frame if you like the way those feel.
Best Shotguns in Destiny 2
Best for PvE
- Badlander (Energy, Arc) – Random Dreaming City drop, or via Chalice of Opulence/Menagerie crafting.
- Hawthorne’s Field-Forged Shotgun (Kinetic) – Open legendary engrams and earn faction rank-up packages.
- Last Man Standing (Energy, Solar) – Complete Gambit Prime matches and runs of the Reckoning (tier 2 & 3)
- Legend of Acrius (Power, Arc, Exotic) – Complete the World-Eater exotic quest.
- Lord of Wolves (Energy, Solar, Exotic) – Complete Wanted Spider bounties. Occasionally sold by Xur.
- Ikelos_SG (Energy, Solar) – Rare drop from certain wave seven Escalation Protocol bosses.
- Prophet of Doom (Energy, Arc) – Possible drop from completing encounters in the raid, Garden of Salvation.
- Python (Energy, Void) – Complete the Gambit Ritual Weapon quest “Get Closer.”
- Threat Level (Kinetic) – Random drop from Scourge of the Past encounters & chests.
- Tractor Cannon (Power, Void, Exotic) – Rare exotic world drop.