A staggering 20 years since the first Star Ocean game released on the Super Famicom, the fifth entry in the series, Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness finally has an official release date in the west. Having released in Japan just last week, the Sci-Fi JRPG will hit North American shelves June 28 and European shelves July 1, exclusively for PS4.
This announcement comes as the release date was leaked, along with the existence of a Day One edition, last week.
Though the fifth in the series, Square Enix is hoping the latest Star Ocean will hook new players. “All the titles in the series share a rich history and universe, but you should know that you don’t have to play the previous games to enjoy the story of this one,” Marketing Lead Francis Santos explained on the PlayStation Blog.
“Apart from the story, the battle system is really a driving factor in why players return to the series. Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness will actually boast the ability to have up to seven ally characters on screen and battling simultaneously… To give you some perspective on that, imagine seven characters from your favorite fighting game banding together using their flashy abilities all on one screen simultaneously and obliterating enemies.”
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness will follow a young swordsman named Fidel as he and his crew fight to protect a mysterious girl named Relia. The game will feature the character designs of Akira ‘Akiman’ Yasuda, the man responsible for the look of multiple Street fighter games, and the music of Motoi Sakuraba, best known as the composer of the Dark Souls games.
As seems to be the growing trend with Square Enix titles, a Square Enix e-Store exclusive collectors edition was also announced. With only 7500 up for grabs, the collectors edition includes:
- A special collector’s edition box featuring the main cast of characters.
- A special collector’s edition steelbook.
- An 80-page hardcover art book featuring artwork from the entire Star Ocean series.
- A music sampler with 16 tracks chosen specifically from composer Motoi Sakuraba.
- Eight art cards featuring character illustrations by akiman.
- A Pangalactic Federation ID Card.
- In-Game DLC items to give you an edge in beginning your journey.
- Six music themes to customize battle BGM to music from the Valkyrie Profile & Star Ocean series.
To find out more about Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, be sure to check out our full profile of the game in our list of the 5 Games That Show 2016 Is the Year of the JRPG. As we learn more about the game, you’ll find it all right here on Twinfinite.