If you are even remotely interested in Dune: Spice Wars, the upcoming real-time strategy and 4X hybrid from developers Shiro Games, then the latest update about the Harkonnens should be worth your time. For anyone who is familiar with this particular faction, then their tactics should come as no surprise.
As opposed to House Atreides, House Harkonnen is all about manipulation and brute force. Led by Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, one of the wealthiest members of the Landsraad and Duke Leto Atreides’ most dangerous rival, he is surrounded by councillors that are as vicious and cruel as he is.
- Glossu Rabban knows how to break the will of and maintain permanent pressure on the people ruled by the Harkonnens, with the unique aim of maximizing profits.
- Pieter de Vries, the Baron’s powerful Mentat, is the expert in weaving a network of spies and setting up various operations to harm the enemies of the Great House.
- Feyd-Rautha, the Baron’s protégé, is adept at using charm and manipulation to help the Harkonnens crush their opponents politically.
- Iakin Nefud, has the role of organizing the main corps of Harkonnen soldiers, using the men as cannon fodder, as consumable resources, but with unparalleled military results.
A formidable force on the battlefield, the Harkonnen is made even stronger in Dune: Spice War by their lack of hesitation when it comes to underhanded tactics. These fanatical war machines are complemented by shady politics, spying, and of course, an assassination or two.
The game will also feature unique units for the faction, which includes the following combatants:
- Troopers, armed with razor-sharp blades, are able to enter a berserker rage when injured, ignoring their pain and increasing their strength the closer they are to death.
- Vanguards are masters of combat, and excellent assassins, who revel in blood and death, slaying their targets one after another in an unflinching and unfeeling fashion.
- Gunners, experts in demolition, equipped with experimental explosive weapons manufactured in secret. Their damage is so extensive that their troops are often wounded and killed by their own fire, for the glory of the House.
- House Guards, ruthless killers, unstoppable war machines who will follow and carry out any orders given to them without hesitation.
- Stealth Probes, disposable and inexpensive mechanical units, were developed for the sole purpose of espionage and murder from the shadows.
Look forward to utilizing the unique position of the Harkonnen in Dune: Spice Wars, which comes to Steam Early Access later in the year.