Turtle Rock Studios’ upcoming co-operative shooter Back 4 Blood is a multiplayer experience that is likely to be firmly on the radar of anybody who enjoyed the Left 4 Dead series. But what of the game’s various characters? Do their personalities stand-up to the awesome chemistry shared by those in Valve’s beloved masterpiece? Today’s trailer seeks to answer that question by putting a spotlight on The Cleaners, Back 4 Blood’s protagonists.
The video introduces each of the eight playable Cleaners – Holly, Walker, Doc, Karlee, Jim, Hoffman, Evangelo, and Mom – and expands on their background, characteristics, and in-game abilities. The trailer also provides a glimpse into the range of Ridden variants players will take on, including beastly Breakers, grotesque Ogres, screeching Snitchers, ravenous Hags, and more.
— Back 4 Blood (@back4blood) May 20, 2021
Below you can find a full overview of each personality and their backstories:
- Holly – After losing her family to the Devil Worm, Holly Forrester learned to channel all her energy into being a Cleaner and is known as the glue that keeps the team together. Armed with her trusty nail spiked baseball bat she affectionately calls “Dottie,” Holly’s resilience and never-say-die attitude helps boost the team’s morale and is often seen as a ray of light in the darkness of the apocalypse.
- Walker – The oldest of five siblings, Elijah Walker was born in Evansburgh to a hardworking, blue collar family. The former Army Ranger and war-torn veteran is highly skilled with a wealth of front-line combat experience. Walker is a man of few words, but when he speaks, he commands the attention of his fellow Cleaners, who all respect his commitment to the fight.
- Doc – She has been instrumental in keeping Fort Hope up and running, but this is far from the life Doc expected when she first came to America. Fiercely independent, she sacrificed social life for career. It wasn’t until years later that she finally found a kindred spirit in Mom. After the Collapse, Doc’s no-nonsense attitude and pragmatic outlook served her well. Though her bedside manner can take some getting used too, no one denies she’s one hell of a doctor and a mean shot to boot.
- Karlee – Surviving on the outskirts of Fort Hope since the Collapse, Karlee only trusted in herself. No one knows much about her, and she’s fine with that. Though originally seen as a nuisance at best and a looter at worst, her actions have proved time and time again which side she’s on. Now with the Ridden on the rise, she’s made the choice to fight alongside the survivors. She may not be a Cleaner by name, but she more than makes up for it in attitude.
- Jim – Nobody knows Finleyville and the surrounding county like Jim. From an early age, he would head out into the countryside with his father, hunting and trapping with the best of them. After a stint in the military, he returned home, only to see it ravaged by the Collapse. Now he’s found his place among the most trusted cleaners. When not fighting back-to-back with his team, he’s scouring the countryside of his beloved Pennsylvania routing out the Ridden infestation.
- Hoffman – A meticulous individual, enthusiastic prepper, and conspiracy theorist. When the infection hit, he and his mother hunkered down and rode out the storm as the rest of the world fell into chaos. After his mother passed away in her sleep and his supplies ran out, he left his boarded-up house to face the world of the Devil Worm. Howard Robert Hoffman is genuinely skilled and good-hearted, with an earnest desire to be a useful part of the team. As part of the Cleaners, he’s finally come across the family that he’s always wanted – he just had to wade through the zombie apocalypse to find it.
- Evangelo – He may be the youngest and least experienced Cleaner on the team but has proven to be a quick study. Besides being good in a fight, Evangelo has established himself as a loyal and reliable member of the team. He tends to talk a lot, especially when he’s nervous, but is eager to show that he has what it takes to be a Cleaner.
- Mom – The only person surprised that Mom became the voice of survivors in Finleyville was herself. She’s never shirked from a challenge and always puts the needs of others over her own. Still, for one who’s used to bucking authority, her newfound responsibility sometimes weighs uneasily on her. Although she has faith in her Cleaners, Mom has questioned other leaders’ strategies on more than one occasion, especially since the death of her son. Mom’s goal is simple, make the Ridden pay.
Back 4 Blood is currently slated for release on Oct. 12, 2021 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and PC. For more on the game, check out another recent gameplay video from last year.
- Back 4 Blood Update Lets You Play With a Full Deck of Upgrades
- Back 4 Blood DLC Tunnels of Terror Gets a Terrifying Launch Trailer
- Back 4 Blood Tunnels of Terror DLC Coming in April; Milestone of 10 Million Players Also Revealed
- Tencent Acquires Back 4 Blood Developer Turtle Rock Studios
- Back 4 Blood’s December Update Goes Live Tomorrow, Adds Offline Progression Campaign & Holiday Skins