While most of the fun in Black Ops Cold War‘s Zombies mode comes from simply blasting the undead away, it’s a complex mode full of secrets to uncover and upgrades to unlock. One of the most interesting is ammo mods. If they’re confusing you a little, here’s everything you need to know about how to get ammo mods in Black Ops Cold War Zombies, how to upgrade them, and what they do.
What they are in the game is a Field Upgrade that you can purchase. They essentially add effects to the rounds you’re using that burn, freeze or stun the zombies you’re fighting to avoid. The four Ammo Mods in the mode are:
- Cryofreeze – Deals frost damage.
- Dead Wire – Deals electric damage.
- Napalm Blast – Deals fire damage to enemies.
- Brain Rot – Makes a zombie attack other zombies as part of your squad.
How to Get Ammo Mods in Black Ops Cold War Zombies
You’ll be able to purchase them from Pack-A-Punch machines in the mode, getting them at whatever Tier you’ve upgraded them to. We’ll get to the upgrading part down below.
You’ll then be able to load them into your weapon and unload them onto enemies. Aside them the colorful ammo coming out of your gun, you’ll also notice the XP notifier you see when killing a zombie will say what ammo you used to do so.
How to Upgrade Them
Much like other things in the game, you’re also able to upgrade Ammo Mods using Aetherium Crystals. Each tier will increase the additional damage the mod does.
- Tier 1: Enemies that have been slowed take 25% more damage.
- Tier 2: Enemies are now slowed for five seconds.
- Tier 3: Zombies now move at half their normal speed.
- Tier 1: Adds an electrical forcefield around enemies affected by the ammo mod.
- Tier 2: Stuns enemies for four seconds
- Tier 3: Doubles damage of Tier 1 effect.
- Tier 1: Does 5% of the enemies’ maximum health in fire damage upon initial impact.
- Tier 2: Lasts 10 seconds rather than five.
- Tier 3: Makes the burn effect deal 20% of the enemies maximum health, still lasting 10 seconds.
- Tier 1: Affected enemies explode when they die, deals toxic damage to others nearby.
- Tier 2: Enemies remain on your side for 20 seconds before dying.
- Tier 3: Doubles the damage affected zombies deal for you.
You can also further increase the effectiveness of ammo mods and their own upgrades by using the Elemental Pop Skill and upgrading that. Once you hit rank 41, you’ll be able to use Aetherium Crystals to upgrade it. The tier and their effects are:
- Tier 1 – Equipment damage could also apply a random base Ammo Mod effect.
- Tier 2 – Reduces cooldown of the mod by 20%.
- Tier 3 – Applied an Ammo Mod’s current tier, rather than starting at tier one.
That’s everything you need to know about how to get ammo mods in Black Ops Cold War Zombies, how to upgrade them, and what they do. For more tips and tricks on the game, including the Zombies mode, be sure to check out our wiki guide or search for Twinfinite.
- New Zombies Map Announced Early for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Ranked Play Is Still Coming to CoD: Black Ops Cold War
- Treyarch’s Teasing a New Black Ops Cold War Zombies Map
- 5 Black Ops Cold War Issues the Mid-Season Update Needs to Address
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Offers Free Zombies For Limited Time