For a free-to-play game designed to run across console, PC, and mobile platforms, Genshin Impact runs superbly well. Particularly so, when you consider that this is developer miHoYo’s first attempt at developing and publishing a game of this magnitude. Still, it’s not perfect, and there are one or two persistent bugs that are spoiling things for some players. Here’s what Error Code 4201 means in Genshin Impact and how to fix it.
What Error Code 4201 Means in Genshin Impact & How to Fix It
“Failed to connect to the server Error code: 4201”
As far as we can tell, this is an error that affects all platforms, with players across all devices reporting the issue across miHoYo’s forums, Reddit, YouTube, and everything in between.
As for what it is specifically, this is a tricky one. Error Code 4201 was the same code as the error that popped when Genshin Impact’s servers weren’t yet live, but they’ve obviously been up for a long time and some players are still having a problem.
The issue seems to be quite sporadic, with some players able to play one moment and then not again.
From what we’ve heard, some of those attempting to play on mobile devices and getting the 4201 error have been doing so when connected to an unstable Wi-Fi network, or one that isn’t allowing them to connect to Genshin Impact’s servers.
If, for example, you are attempting to play the game on a public Wi-Fi, it may be blocking access. Any network that requires the router to perform a NAT action –to convert a public IP to a private one–, may not be suitable to play.
The solution is to use cellular data if you can do so. For those playing on PC and PS4, it’s worth connecting to your mobile hotspot if possible to test and see whether that allows you access. If so, you’ll know there’s an issue with your home Wi-Fi connection.
From there, we can’t offer any solution, but it’s perhaps something to do with your router settings. As always, try rebooting the router as a first port of call.
Just to make it crystal:
Time needed: 5 minutes.
What Error Code 4201 means in Genshin Impact and how to fix it:
- Error Code 4201 is a connection error that may stem from attempting to play the game on either an unstable or unsuitable network (ie. one that is blocking access to certain servers). First, check and reboot your router.
- Try switching to a cellular network if playing from a mobile phone; those on PC and console can test the router theory by temporarily hot spotting from a cellular connection.
- If nothing is working for you, the sporadic nature of the Error Code means you might just have to wait it out.
For now, that’s all the information we have on what Error Code 4201 is in Genshin Impact and how to fix it. We’ll update this post if we learn more, and if you have found a solution yourself, then please feel free to let us know in the comment section below, so we can update the article and help others.
If you’re after additional guides and tips on Genshin Impact, check out Twinfinite’s wiki page.
- Genshin Impact’s Diverse Cast of Characters Is its Best Feature
- Genshin Impact ‘Vishaps & Where to Find Them’ Event Guide: How to Start, Rewards & More
- Sensor Tower: Genshin Impact Revenue Over $870 Million, Now Third Highest-Earning Mobile Game
- Genshin Impact: How to Start Hu Tao’s Story Quest
- Genshin Impact: How to Raise Friendship Levels Fast