Surviving the Aftermath, the latest game in the Surviving series, has officially entered Early Access and is available for download on the Epic Games Store and Xbox Game Preview. The announcement was made by Paradox Interactive and developer Iceflake Studios during PDX Con today, accompanied by a new gameplay trailer that teed up a post-apocalyptic setting and colony survival gameplay.
First revealed earlier this month, Surviving the Aftermath tasks players with constructing buildings, managing colonists, and adapting to natural disasters in an effort to restore civilization.
More than just colony management, though, the game’s world is said to be fraught with danger, including bandits and unique biomes that bring additional hazards to deal with.
Nikhat Ali, Lead Producer on Surviving the Aftermath at Paradox Interactive commented on today’s Early Access release:
“With Surviving the Aftermath we want to get our players involved as early as possible so we can make sure we’re making the game they want to play. We have an ambitious content schedule ahead of us that includes monthly updates where we will incorporate feedback from our players and we’re confident the team at Iceflake is the right team for the job.”
Lasse Liljedahl, CEO and Lead Designer at Iceflake Studios, weighed in, too:
“Surviving the Aftermath is the game we’ve always wanted to make. When we pitched our plan to Paradox, they recognized our passion and commitment to making this game the best survival colony builder it can be. We’re beyond thrilled to finally share our dream project with the world and to have the support of one of the industry’s leading publishers.”
Surviving the Aftermath’s key features are detailed below:
- No Place Like Home: Build and manage a colony of survivors after a world-ending event. Construct more than 50 unique buildings to handle everything from resource collection and farming to exploration and security. Don’t forget to construct the Gate to venture into the savage world beyond your colony.
- Surviving Earth: Explore a vast procedurally generated world featuring six different biomes filled with exploitable resources, bandits, and more. Each environment has different conditions that will affect your colony’s survival. Stay vigilant: Natural disasters will put your survivors to the test.
- Survival is my Specialty: Recruit over 46 unique Specialists, each with their own skills and motivations, to manage your colony’s resources and production. Send them beyond the Gate on scientific missions, scavenger runs, and to fight bandits.
- Expect the Unexpected: Life in the aftermath requires you to make moral choices. You may not be able to control everything in your colony, but how you respond to situations and emergent events will shape the character of your new civilization.
- Mods: Surviving the Aftermath players can bring their own visions to life using Paradox Mods.
New screenshots provide an overview of the game’s systems and environment:
And you can check out the new trailer below.