Grenade launchers are finally in the limelight after living in the shadow of just about every other weapon type in Destiny 2 for most of its life. Nowadays, the grenade launcher reigns supreme in so many situations. Let’s look at the best grenade launchers in Destiny 2 for PvE, PvP, and Gambit as of Destiny 2: Shadowkeep and Season of Undying.
As far as PvE goes, Grenade Launchers as of Year 3 are among the hardest hitting weapons in the game, especially for boss-class enemies. Raids such as Crown of Sorrows and Garden of Salvation, are made way easier when ran with a team using powerful grenade launchers.
A lot of things need to happen though to make proper use of the weapon type. First for PvE the perk Spike Grenades are pretty much a must have. These dramatically increase the damage of weapons that make direct contact with enemies. Considering most bosses in Destiny 2 are pretty easy to hit, it’s a free damage boost.
Second, ideally you have a warlock running Lunafaction Boosts and Well of Radiance, or at the very least, a Titan with Rally Barricade. Grenade launchers take a huge DPS hit when they have to spend a lot of time reloading to the point where you might as well use a sniper or something else if it’s long enough. Even with the nerf, both those abilities are very important for grenade launcher DPS.
Any of the legendary grenade launchers below can roll with spike grenades. In the case of The Mountaintop and Orewing’s Maul, you can even equip those two in the Kinetic and Energy slots. It’s possible to run three grenade launchers if you wanted to and the situations calls for it.
The Lectern Moon grenade launcher, Love and Death, can roll with Full Court, 150 rounds per minute, and Spike Grenades which is a deadly combination that you can infinitely grind for pretty easily until you get it.
Finally, the Season of Dawn Sundial Grenade Launcher, Martyr’s Retribution introduced a new frame that basically is a thermite grenade in weapon form. You fire it, and a line of fire shoots out from where you shot and will wipe out red bar enemies easily. What’s extra nice is that it’s a special ammo, energy grenade launcher too.
As far as exotics go, there are two solid options for high-end PvE situations: Anarchy or Prospector. Both have extremely high DPS. Prospector is more of a traditional grenade launchers with powerful explosive sticky mines, while Anarchy deploys mine that shoot electricity between them.
The DPS potential with Anarchy in particular is super high since you can set up the electricity field for damage and then switch to another weapon.
Best Grenade Launchers in Destiny 2
Best in PvE
- Anarchy (Power, Arc, Exotic) – Extremely rare drop from defeating the final boss as the end of the raid, Scourge of the Past.
- Love and Death (Power, Solar) – Crafted at the Lectern of Enchantment on the Moon
- Martyr’s Retribution (Energy, Solar) – Acquired from Sundial activity on Mercury.
- Prospector (Power, Solar, Exotic) – Rare exotic world droo.
- Orewing’s Maul (Energy, Void) – Random drop from Iron Banner matches and rank-up packages.
- Outrageous Fortune (Power, Solar) – Random drop from completing strikes and ranking up with Commander Zavala.
- Swarm of the Raven (Power, Void) – Random drop from Iron Banner matches and rank-up packages.
- The Mountaintop (Kinetic) – Complete the Crucible pinnacle quest, In Pursuit of Honor.
- Wendigo GL3 (Power, Arc) – Complete the Vanguard pinnacle quest, A Gift for the Worthy.