There are several ways you can customize your character and loadout in Fortnite to make it personal to you, but sadly, a custom crosshair isn’t something the game offers within its options. Fortunately, there is a way to get a custom crosshair, but there are some warnings you should heed first. Here’s everything you need to know on how to get a custom crosshair in Fortnite.
What Is a Custom Crosshair?
Simply put, this is your aiming reticle that appears in the center of the screen and indicates the rough area where your equipped weapon will fire bullets. A custom crosshair enables you to personalize this by replacing the standard white lines with something… anything that you can find online.
What You Need to Know Before Getting a Custom Crosshair
Before you go ahead and use the steps below to get a custom crosshair, it’s worth noting that because this process uses third-party software to bring your crosshair design into Fortnite, Epic Games’ anti-cheat systems for the game may flag this and result in getting your account banned. Players have used this successfully in the past, but you’ve been warned of the risks.
Similarly, it’s worth noting that this is only a static crosshair, and so it’s not going to recoil when firing as a standard reticle would.
How to Get a Custom Crosshair on Fortnite (PC)
- First, download the Custom Desktop Logo.
- Next, you’ll need to find yourself a picture of the custom crosshair you want to use in Fortnite. This needs to be centered and on a transparent background. It should look something like this.
- Unzip Custom Desktop Logo to your desktop (it can go anywhere, we’re just suggesting here for ease of use).
- Double-click on CustomDesktopLogo.exe to open the program. This will result in an icon appearing for the program appearing in your system tray in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Right-click on this and choose the “Settings” option, followed by the “Change Image Folder.”
- Navigate to the folder you saved your custom crosshair in and select it. You’ll now be able to select your crosshair.
- Next, select the “Location” tab at the top of the settings window, and under “Display Location,” select “Center.” If you’re using this custom crosshair with Fortnite, you’ll want to set the “Location Offset” Y value to -1 to center it on your Fortnite crosshair. You can also adjust the size of your custom crosshair by choosing the “Size” tab at the top of the screen.
- Launch Fortnite with the program still running in your system tray. Hop into a game and then use the “Location Offset” settings mentioned above to tweak and perfectly overlay your custom crosshair with the default one in-game.
- Finally, go into your in-game settings and go to the tab with the Gear icon. You can now select the HUD tab within this menu and turn off the standard crosshair.
Thanks to Redditor Terrance_Games for the info.
Can You Get a Custom Crosshair on Fortnite on PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch?
Unfortunately, due to the software required, it’s not possible to get a custom crosshair on Fortnite on PS4, Xbox One, and Switch. For you console players, you’ll just have to cross your fingers and hope that Epic Games add this in as a fully-fledged feature as part of a new season update. Season 10, anyone?
That’s everything you need to know about how to get a custom crosshair in Fortnite. For more tips, tricks, and guides, be sure to check out our ever-expanding Season 9 guide wiki.