Today, at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, the ceremony for the 19th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards has just ended, and all the winners have been announced.
God of War won the Game of the Year prize, among exceptional finalists including Red Dead Redemption 2, Return of the Obra Dinn, Marvel’s Spider-Man, and Celeste.
- Best Debut: Mountains for Florence
- Best Audio: Celeste (Matt Makes Games)
- Best Design: Into the Breach (Subset Games)
- Best Mobile Game: Florence (Mountains / Annapurna Interactive)
- Innovation Award: Nintendo Labo (Nintendo EPD / Nintendo)
- Best Narrative: Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909)
- Best Technology: Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)
- Best Visual Art: Gris (Nomada Studio / Devolver Digital)
- Best AR/VR Game: Beat Saber (Beat Games)
- GDC Pioneer Award: Rieko Kodama
- GDC Lifetime Achievement Award: Amy Hennig
- Audience Award: Beat Saber (Beat Games)
- Game of the Year: God of War (Sony Santa Monica / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
If you’re curious, you can check out all the nominees and find out all the games that were honored during the evening, whether they won an award or not.
Last year’s edition awarded Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as Game of the Year.
The Game Developers Choice Awards were hosted just after the Independent Games Festival, which saw the triumph of Return of the Obra Dinn by Lucas Pope. He may not have expected that there was more to come later in the evening.