How to Beat Urizen (Chapter 17) in Devil May Cry 5
Devil May Cry 5 continues the series’ tradition of intense boss battles, and there are a lot this time around. In particular, you’ll go up against a powerful demon named Urizen multiple times throughout the game, and he serves as the primary antagonist. Here’s how to beat Urizen (Chapter 17) in Devil May Cry 5.
Urizen is one tough customer in all of the battle with him in Devil May Cry 5, but Chapter 17, in particular, is exceptionally challenging. The boss is extremely quick and all of his attacks do huge damage if they land.
Before you start the battle, make sure you have a good amount of red orbs or a few Gold Orbs, in order to revive Dante one or more times. Keep in mind reviving will lower your style ranking, but this is one of the hardest bosses in the entire game so there’s no shame in doing so.
- When blue marks appear on the ground pillars of flame will shoot up seconds later, so make sure to dodge out of their way.
- When Urizen summons purple projectiles he’ll shoot them into the air and then down on top of you, so dodge away from the pink sigils that appear.
- Urizen will usually try to get in close and his main attack is a sweeping kick that knocks you back and does huge damage.
- When his fist glows blue Urizen will hit you with a single heavy downward punch. This attack does huge damage if it hits, and it causes a small blast radius.
Around half health Urizen will switch up his tactics, adding new attacks.
- Hell summon purple spears and shoot them directly at Dante, these spears track you.
- A red fireball shoots directly at you, very fast so you’ll need to dodge quick.
- A slower blue fireball will hit you and cause a time slowdown area, get out of the area as quickly as you can, as Urizen will follow up with more ranged attacks.
- Purple sigils will appear on the field and shoot out giant lasers, you’ll need to jump over them or dodge under them depending on how high they are.
Without a doubt, you should be using Trickster for pretty much the entire battle. Urizen’s attacks are so powerful that they can crash right through your Royal Guard stance a lot of times, and he’s fast enough to make Gunslinger and Swordmaster difficult to use properly.
You can, of course, swap between them as you need to, but Trickster is essential for being able to dodge all of Urizen’s ranged attacks. The best idea for attacks of your own too, are to jump and use trickster to teleport in close, then hit Urizen with a few air attack before Air Hiking away.
If you’re attacking from the ground, Urizen will use his kick attacks which have a wide hit area and also make him harder to hit. Because of this attacking in the air is usually the safer bet. Needless to say, you’re going to be doing a lot of dodging and jumping in this fight, so get ready to hit those buttons a lot.
In terms of ranged weapons, Kalina Ann is a good choice for this fight as each rocket will chip away a bit at Urizen’s health, and if you get a chance to launch a rocket barrage with Gunslinger and B (circle) take it. Kalina Ann is also great for building up your Devil Trigger gauge, which you’ll definitely want.
Don’t use Dante’s regular Devil Trigger in this fight unless absolutely necessary. Instead, move all of it into your Sin Devil Trigger gauge. Sin Devil Trigger is the best way to cause major damage to Urizen, and Dante’s attacks are big and wide enough in this form to easily hit the boss.
For your melee weapon do not use Cavaliere at all, as the weapon is simply to slow. For this battle, your best bet is the sword Dante or the gauntlets Balrog, as both weapons have quick combos and excel at being used in the air. Stinger, the forward Y (triangle) with Dante is also a great move to use as you can dash in and cause some damage then dodge right back out again with Trickster.
The most important thing with this Urizen battle is patience. You’re going to have to chip away at the boss’ health and continuously dodge things, and it’s not a battle that you’ll be able to win quickly in any way.
Hopefully, that gives you some idea for how to beat Urizen in Devil May Cry 5. For even more tips and guides make sure to search Twinfinite, or take a look at our extensive Devil May Cry 5 guide wiki.