Rocket League’s “Rocket Pass” and More Coming in Summer Updates
Rocket League developer Psyonix detailed upcoming features planned for the game over the next few months in its summer 2018 roadmap, including a Fortnite: Battle Royale-styled seasonal pass and a reinvented XP progression system.
Slated for late summer, the “Rocket Pass” will contain new cosmetics, Decryptors, and exclusive in-game Titles that can be earned by unlocking multiple tiers through leveling up normally. Similar to Fortnite: Battle Royale’s Battle Pass, the pass will have a free track with rewards available to all players to earn and a premium track that can be purchased with a one-time fee. Psyonix plans for each Rocket Pass to last a few months before replaced with another pass with new content, though the studio is “still developing” the system and will detail further closer to its launch.
Additionally, the XP system will be overhauled in late summer to be deeper and more rewarding. Changes include removing the level cap, earning a cosmetic item each time for leveling up, and receiving XP bonuses for playing with friends and playing consecutive games in Casual lobbies. Check out the roadmap below for the full schedule of updates planned for this summer.
- A brand new Arena
- The start of Competitive Season 8
- Competitive Season 7 Rewards
- New in-game music with the release of ‘Rocket League x Monstercat Vol. 3’
- And more!
- New, summer-themed in-game Event
- The RLCS Season 5 World Championship live from London (be sure to tune in for Fan Rewards)!
- New Licensed Premium DLC
Cross-Platform Friends & Parties
- Register an in-game ID that is a combination of a name with a unique code, like Scarab#7777
- Add friends from other platforms by entering their ID into the new, in-game friends list
- Party up with your new cross-platform friends and play online!
- Leveling Updates
- We’re removing the level cap of 75 and re-balancing the entire level-up curve. Levels will take a fixed amount of XP to earn instead of becoming exponentially longer as you level up.
- You’ll be converted to a new level appropriate for how much you’ve played Rocket League in your career.
- Leveling up grants you an Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, or Import item (instead of these drops being randomly-timed as they are currently)
- You can earn new Titles and Banners at level 100 and beyond to show off your status
- XP Updates
- As part of the leveling updates, XP is going to become Online-only
- XP will now be based on Time Played in matches in addition to your Score.
- New XP Mechanics!
- Match Completion Bonus (for finishing games)
- Consecutive Games Bonus (for staying in Casual lobbies)
- Party Bonus (for playing with friends)
- Leaver Penalty (to punish quitters in all modes)
- Double XP Weekends
- And more!