The blue blur that is Sonic the Hedgehog is definitely making waves in the entertainment scene, with both a recent movie sequel, a new remastered collection, and even a Netflix series in the works. The big screen is where Sonic has definitely made the biggest impression, as the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 movie is now officially the most successful video game movie adaptation of all time, raking in $331.64 million at the global box office.
Based on the global blockbuster videogame franchise from Sega, the amount surpasses the first film’s $319.71 million box office take, smashing the record. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 debuted at No. 1 in 47 markets, including the U.K., France, Australia, and other countries, and also saw strong sales in Mexico and Brazil.
Of the $331.64 million box office take, the U.S. portion stands at $162.74 million, with the international box office sales at $168.9 million. Needless to say, this is excellent news for Sega as well as their partners at Paramount Pictures.
It remains to be seen if that box office success can be replicated for the other projects under the Sonic the Hedgehog umbrella, which includes the aforementioned animated show, future movies, music, and merchandise. Fans can look forward to the third movie in the trilogy most likely in 2024, with confirmation coming even before the second movie was released.
- Sonic Prime Netflix Series Gets Its First Footage & Screenshots
- Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack Adds Sonic Spinball, Shining Force II, & Space Harrier II to the Collection
- Sonic Origins Coming To PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch, PC June 23
- Sega & Gamefam Team Up For Roblox Sonic Speed Simulator Game
- Sega of America & General Mills Celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie with Cereal & Fruit Snacks