The NPD Group’s monthly report tracking US video game spending is out, and yet another record has been broken. This time, hardware sales led the charge, with the PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch recording impressive numbers. Over on the software side, meanwhile, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD was the best-selling game of the month, the first Nintendo-published title to earn that accolade since Super Mario World: Odyssey.
As usual, Matt Piscatella broke down the figures over on his Twitter page, which we’ve listed below by industry segment.
- July 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories increased 10% when compared to a year ago, reaching a July record $4.6B. Year-to-date spending totaled $33.5B, a 14% increase when compared to the same period in 2020.
- Hardware was one of the primary drivers of July gains, as dollar sales of console and portable video game systems were 98% higher than in July 2020. Sales of Content increased by $232M, as Mobile, Subscription and Post-Launch Content spend grew vs year ago
- July video game hardware dollar sales grew 98% when compared to July 2020, to $323 million. This is the highest total achieved in a July month since 2008 ($447M), and the third highest July month total in history.
- Year-to-date hardware spending has increased 50% when compared to the same period in 2020, reaching $2.7 billion.
- PlayStation 5 led the hardware market in dollar sales for the month of July, while Nintendo Switch once again led in unit sales.
- Nintendo Switch is the best-selling video game hardware year-to-date in both unit and dollar sales.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the best-selling game of July 2021. It is the first Nintendo published title to lead the monthly best-sellers chart since the launch of Super Mario 3D world in the February 2021 tracking month.
- Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin debuted as the third best-selling game of July 2021. Launch month sales of Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin more than tripled the lifetime sales of Monster Hunter Stories, originally released on Nintendo 3DS in 2017.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War ranked as the 2nd best-selling game of the month of July, and remains the best-selling game of 2021 year-to-date. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War was the best-selling game of the month on both the PlayStation and Xbox platforms.
- MLB The Show 21 surpassed Resident Evil: Village to become the 2nd best-selling game of 2021. Year-to-date sales of MLB The Show 21 are the highest in franchise history.
The below slideshow features data on the best-selling software in March and year-to-date.
To compare this month’s results to June, it’s here.