Just like any other entertainment medium, anime has plenty of different genres and themes, including everything from battle Shonen to mystery to romance. And while fans definitely get lots of joy from all of these unique anime, there are also lots of sad and borderline depressing ones that people also really enjoy.
A recent survey conducted by the Japanese site Anime! Anime! reflected this statement, as it asked fans to name their favorite depressing anime. The results were as followed:
- Madoka Magica
- Banana Fish
- Higurashi When They Cry
- Attack on Titan
- School Days
- Re: Zero
- Happy Sugar Life
- Elfen Lied
Some other notable runner-ups included Demon Slayer, New Century Evangelion, Fafner in the Azure, and Made in Abyss. Anyone who has seen any of the anime listed above can understand why they are on the list, as they either feature many difficult obstacles or hardships that the protagonists have to power through if they hope to overcome them.
It is interesting to note that of the 195 people surveyed, 65 percent were female, with about half of the entire group being 19 years old or younger. You can see the full list of results, located right here.
What do you think of this survey? Do you agree or disagree with any of the entries on it? What is your favorite depressing anime to watch? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Scarlet Nexus Animeby Sunrise Gets New Trailer; Officially Debuts on July 1 But First Episode Is Already Available
- Uzumaki Anime Is now Coming in 2022; Gets New Teaser Trailer
- Just Some Anime Memes to Start Your Weekend off Right
- Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Anime Gets New Trailer Ahead of Netflix Release
- 5 Fantasy Books That Would Make Amazing Anime