Anime-Inspired Virtual Reality Game Runner Announced for PS5 & PC VR Platforms
Today developer Truant Pixel revealed its new game Runner, a VR driving action game that wears its anime inspirations on the sleeve.
Today developer Truant Pixel revealed its new game Runner, a new virtual reality driving action game that wears its anime inspirations on the sleeve.
The game will come to the recently-announced PS5 virtual reality platform and other PC-based VR headsets.
Truant Pixel isn’t new to VR experiences, having developed 2MD VR Football and VEV: Viva Ex Vivo. The developer is also known for the Otome visual novel Akash: Path of the Five and some of the best PS4 dynamic themes.
You can check out the trailer, key art, and official description below.
“RUNNER is an arcade-inspired VR driving action game. Players take on the role of Mina, a rogue mod-courier at the center of a massive city-wide pursuit. Beginning in the heart of Presidium, the neon-drenched capitol of the mining colony moon N-351, Mina’s only means of escape is the “Thoroughfare,” a massive highspeed expressway that snakes through the entirety sprawling colony complex. Pursued by the forces of the Caldara corporation, Mina must race through 7 sectors while fighting off relentless waves of autonomous corporate combat drones. Using only their wits, their cybernetics, and a unique array of special abilities, the player will become the runner in this fast-paced, kinetic VR experience.”
- RUNNER features visceral first-person driving gameplay that embraces the unique visual style of late 1980’s prestige anime.
- Players take control of their motorcycle, weaving in-and-out of traffic at breakneck speeds while fending off waves of enemy attackers.
- The action punctuated by an original and dynamic music system set to an incredible throwback soundtrack composed by Fat Bard.
- RUNNER sees the player racing through the Presidium mining colony, pursued by an army of relentless drones. • Players can customize the look of their bike with unique paint and lighting combinations before jumping into the fray.
- Multiple vehicles are unlockable, each with its own set of unique traits and handling.
- Autonomous motorcycles, UAVs, hunter-killer tanks, sniper quadrupeds, covert assassin vehicles, and larger-than-life bosses lie in wait to put an end to Mina’s escape.
- RUNNER features 360-degree freeform gunplay, utilizing twin checkpoint automatic pistols integrated into the control yoke of her bike.
- Powerups collected along Mina’s route further enhance the weapons at the player’s disposal, with powerful options such as scattershot, lasers, and much, much more.
- The arsenal also includes heavy ordinance such as grenades, lock-on missiles, and an integrated vehicle cannon.