The world of Minecraft only continues to grow bigger and better since its original release back in 2011. With the Minecraft 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update, Mojang is looking to make the world even more varied and teeming with life. In this guide, we’ll run you through everything we know about the Minecraft 1.17 update so far, including the release date and what it’s expected to include.
Minecraft 1.17 Update Release Date
Currently, the Minecraft 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update is scheduled to release in Summer 2021.
At this point, the Minecraft Caves and Cliffs update will release on both the Windows 10 and Java Editions of the game.
Unfortunately, Mojang have not yet announced a more specific release date, but we’ll update this post and let you know as soon as any further information is revealed.
Downloading the Beta
If you own the Bedrock edition of the game, you can begin playing the beta for the Caves and Cliffs update right now. That being said, only a handful of the features listed below are included, such as Goat mobs.
Those playing the Java edition of Minecraft can download the latest Snapshot 21w06a. This introduced the new Noise Cave types — Cheese and Spaghetti — so you can appreciate these underground wonders for yourself.
What’s New in the Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Update?
- Noise Caves
- This new type of cave can be generated underground and comes in two varieties — Cheese and Spaghetti. Cheese caves have open areas with stone pillars, while Spaghetti caves are long and narrow, as their namesake suggests.
- Lush Caves
- Found underneath Azalea trees growing on the surface, Lush Caves are systems filled with vines, flowers and fruit that hangs from the ceiling. Lush Caves are a great spot for finding rare flora and fauna, such as Glow Berries, Dripleaf Plants, Spore Blossoms and more.
- Dripstone Caves
- Dripstone Caves feature Stalagmites and Stalactites — those sharp, pointy rock formations that hang from the ceilings or rise up from the floor. These can be used to collect water from, or to damage an enemy (or fellow player) below by breaking the top.
- Deep Dark Biome
- The Deep Dark Biome will be added in as part of the Minecraft 1.17 update and will be where you’ll find Dripstone Caves, but little else has been shared about these new biomes just yet.
- Axolotl Mobs
- Axolotl’s will be found underwater and in Lush Caves. They can be caught out of water by using your bucket to scoop one up. Once tamed, Axolotl’s attack enemies, play dead to recover health and can help take down larger enemies if in large groups.
- Glow Squid Mobs
- Glow Squids drop glowing ink sacs, which can be used to make glow-in-the-dark text on signs. When the squid is hit, it squirts inks and quickly escapes.
- Goat Mobs
- The absolute MVP of the animal kingdom is coming to Minecraft. Goats can be found on cliffs and can jump up to two blocks in height. Annoy a goat enough and it’ll ram you. It can also ram blocks nearby, and if it does it can drop a Goat Horn. These can be used to make a musical instrument which sounds like the horn at the start of a raid.
- Warden Mobs
- The Warden is a new mob type that will be found in the Deep Dark biome. They’re often found specifically in dark, underground areas. They’re completely blind, but will track you down by feeling the vibration of your footsteps and any objects you might throw. To make matters worse, its heavy hits ignore any armor you’ve got and deal damage straight to your health hearts, so watch out.
- Crystal & Amethyst Geode Blocks
- Crystals and Amethysts can be found in the new cave types in Minecraft 1.17, with Amethysts letting off a nice, soothing noise when you walk on their blocks. These crystals are also used for making a number of items including the new Spyglass which you can use to zoom in and peer into the distance.
- Copper Blocks
- Copper blocks look almost the same as Iron blocks, but with that orangey/ brown tint to them, as you’d expect. Copper is also used in the new Spyglass item, as well as Lightning Rods which can be used to divert lightning storms from flammable items that could cause a devastating fire. What’s really cool is Copper ages over time, turning a pale blue-y color as it’s oxidized.
- Candles & Candle Cakes
- How else are you going to celebrate your birthday in the blocky worlds? The Minecraft 1.17 update adds both candles and candle cakes in a variety of colors for your festive fun.
- The Spyglass is a new item that allows you to zoom in and see things in the distance. It’s used by combining Amethyst with Copper.
- The Minecraft 1.17 update will also generate dig sites across your world. Near them you’ll find a chest that have brushes in. These brushes can be used to brush dirt and gravel away from blocks in these areas to find hidden treasure. Extremely rare and valuable items and resources can be found if you’re careful, so make sure you take your time.
- Sculk Growths
- Sculk Growths are a new block type found in the Deep Dark biome. These enable players to wirelessly activated Redstone powered items, such as a farm harvester, or watering system.
- Sculk Sensors can be crafted from these blocks can emit a new Redstone signal when it detects footsteps or a block is destroyed or placed nearby.
That’s everything you need to know regarding the Minecraft 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update. For more on the game, be sure to search for Twinfinite, or check out more of our coverage on the game below.
- Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Update Split Into Two Parts Coming This Summer & Holiday Season
- 10 Fun Things to Do in Minecraft When You’re Bored
- Minecraft Dungeons Hits 10 Million Players; Free New Cape & Pet on the Way in Celebration
- Minecraft Dungeons Flames of the Nether DLC Coming February 24
- Minecraft Earth Is Being Shut Down This June