Earlier today, Niantic revealed their plans for a special raid day featuring the Legendary birds of Kanto. Moltres, Zapdos, and Articuno will be returning on Feb. 28 from 11 AM to 2 PM local time. It’s technically part of Pokemon Day weekend, but just on the tail end of the celebration.
This will be the second time in less than 10 days where these birds will be the focus of Legendary raids. Before this raid day, you’ll also be able to get your hands on these powerful ‘mons on Feb. 20 during Pokemon GO Tour: Kanto.
During the special raid day, the shiny versions of each bird will be available. Don’t get down if the Pokemon you’re battling in the raid isn’t shiny. You won’t be able to tell if the one you get is shiny until you get to the encounter after completing the raid.
Niantic also revealed the following features for the upcoming raid day:
- We’re hearing reports that Giovanni will be returning with a different Shadow Legendary Pokémon in his clutches. Get ready to complete some new Team GO Rocket Special Research to save this Pokémon, Trainers!
- Pick up a bundle of three Remote Raid Passes in the shop starting on Saturday, February 27 at 1:00 p.m. Pacific time to Monday, March 1 at 1:00 p.m. Pacific time.
- Earn up to five free Raid Passes by spinning Photo Discs at PokéStops or Gyms during event hours.
- During the event period, you can use a Charged TM to help a Shadow Pokémon forget the Charged Attack Frustration.
- Team GO Rocket Grunts will be appearing more frequently at PokéStops and in balloons throughout the event window.
This also likely points towards a new Research line since it’s currently impossible to get the Super Rocket Radar to battle Giovanni without locking it behind some kind of Research task.
The other big part of this event that you’ll want to prepare for is the ability to remove Frustration from Shadow Pokemon. These ‘mons are extremely powerful and being able to remove Frustration from their movesets lets you put an even stronger attack in its place.
You can check out the official release about this Kanto raid day from The Pokemon GO Team right here.
- Pokemon GO’s Tricky Event Set To Return on April Fool’s Day
- Pokemon GO Springs into April With Tons of Events
- Pokemon GO Battle League Season 7 To Begin Next Week
- Pokemon GO Season of Legends To Debut New Raids, Events, & More
- Pokemon GO Tour: Kanto Was the Best Pokemon GO Event To Date