In Ghost of Tsushima, you’ll want to improve your arsenal as you take on ever stronger Mongol soldiers. Unlike in other open-world games, there’s no crafting per se — every upgrade is achieved by visiting different vendors. So that you know how it works instead, here’s everything you need to know about how to upgrade weapons in Ghost of Tsushima.
While the katana blade might act as your main weapon, Jin will get access to other means of attack as you progress through the game. There are traps, bows, and blades for you to utilize and upgrade.
How to Upgrade Weapons in Ghost of Tsushima
What you need to find to upgrade your weapons depends on the weapon in question. In towns, you’ll find stores such as a Bowyer, Trapper, Wordsmith, and Blacksmith, each of which specializes in a certain weapon type, and it’s there that you’ll need to go to upgrade the weapons.
You’ll need to find materials to upgrade each weapon, such as bamboo, supplies, iron, or metal, which each one requiring different materials, with the amount you need increasing as you upgrade weapons further.
To get those materials, you’ll find them in various places. You’ll be able to collect them in camps, buildings, forts, by looting dead bodies, and lying around elsewhere in the world.
The Bowyer will be able to upgrade your bow, the Trapper will be there to upgrade your ammo capacity, and the Blacksmith will be there for your Katana/Kanto blades. Below is what kind of material each vendor will be looking for to upgrade your weapons.
- Bowyer – Supplies, Bamboo, Yew Wood, Wax Wood
- Armorer – Supplies, Linen, Leather
- Swordsmith – Supplies, Iron, Steel, Gold
- Trapper – Supplies (only for ammo and resources), Predator Hides
You’re also able to get aesthetic upgrades for weapons, which can be purchased from merchants who sell dyes for your sword and bow, so head to them in towns.
- Ghost of Tsushima Voted Game of the Year by Japanese Game Developers & More on Famitsu
- Ghost of Tsushima Fans Help Restore Torii Toppled by Typhoon in Real-World Tsushima
- Ghost of Tsushima Wins Player’s Voice Award at The Games Awards
- Ghost of Tsushima Getting Handsome Jin Sakai Figma Figure
- Watch the Show Inspired by Ghost of Tsushima on Japanese TV and Discover the Game’s Unique Setting