Bitsummit, Japan’s leading annual showcase of independent video games, has today provided new information about upcoming its digital event, called Bitsummit Gaiden, scheduled to kick off on June 27.
As Twinfinite reported earlier this year, the event replaces the 8th edition of Bitsummit that was canceled in the wake of COVID-19.
“Gaiden loosely translates to ‘side-story’ in Japanese and while this new incarnation has a different format, we’re bringing back all the things that make BitSummit special,” John Davis, BitSummit Organizing Committee. “BitSummit Gaiden will still have great indie games, amazing music, thought-provoking talks with game industry luminaries, and a thriving community eager to check out the fun and innovative titles.”
As for what’s being showcased, Bitsummit has unveiled the full list of 75 games over on its website.
It also announced a new plan to divide each day into groups represented by different “Heroes,” something which is inspired by Japanese traditions and aimed to foster a greater sense of community during the event. As per the press release, the teams are as follows:
- BitRobots – Led by our original mascot, BitKing, the BitRobots were created by Dr. Yamamu in his secret base underneath Daimonjiyama. Piloted by Milk and his band of misfit game devs, they guard the indie world!
- BitRiders – Salaryman by day, masked BitRider by night, the leader of this team debuted in our second event and recruited allies to join him in the third edition! Now they are a trio of game dev bikers racing through the streets of Neo-Kyoto dishing out vigilante justice!
- BitRangers – The BitRangers’ love for indie games is overshadowed only by their love for Matcha Tea! This foursome made their first appearance during BitSummit Force (4th), and they were instrumental in defeating Nekora during the BitRumble of A 5th of BitSummit. Since then, they have quietly practiced “chanoyu” in anticipation of the day they are needed again.
- BitSamurai – Seven Spirits were transported through time to the modern world during a battle with the same ancient spirit that would eventually become Nekora. Today, these samurai wander the world lending their blades to any who need help.
- BitKaiju – Born in an atomic accident near the Fox Shrines of Kyoto, Nekora has often been at odds with the Rangers, Robots, Riders, and Samurai. Its first appearance during A 5th of BitSummit led to the BitRumble, a huge battle that decimated Miyakomesse! Since its defeat, Nekora has become a friend to all children.
Further, thanks to a partnership with Utomik, during the event, attendees will have access to over 1,000 games free of charge between June 26 – July 11 included. Links to the games can be found over on Gaiden’s Discord channel.
And finally, Bitsummit has put together a short trailer to help build the excitement and offer a glimpse of what’s to come.
You can expect more details from Bitsummit over the coming weeks.