Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has just gotten an interesting new update, version 1.5, that lets fans play the game with the Nintendo Labo. If you have a Toy-Con Motorbike from the Variety Kit, you can zip through the streets using the cardboard as your controller. It’s worth noting that this is the first game outside of the Variety Kit software to utilize the Nintendo Labo, and the press release mentions that even more titles will support the Labo in the future.
Here’s the full list of changes in the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update:
- Now supports the use of the Toy-Con Motorbike from Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit.
- You can now set whether or not to use the Toy-Con Motorbike from the Toy-Con settings in the top menu.
- At the screen right before the game begins, please set the Joy-Con inside the Toy-Con Motorbike.
- When using the Toy-Con Motorbike, the camera will look over the character’s shoulder, increasing immersion.
- Press the downward directional button to play with normal view again.
- Addressed an issue where, after setting up a tournament, the “Search by code” feature would stop functioning.
- Addressed an issue that made it impossible for a player to proceed after colliding with a Star Thwomp.
- The latest update data is needed to play matches online.
- Once you have downloaded the latest update data, you will no longer be able to play “Local Wireless” and “LAN Play” matches with other players who have not downloaded this data.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is available on the Nintendo Switch. Check out the video below to see how the Nintendo Labo works with the game: