Try all of the animal types
One of the most significant features of Sonic Forces is the option of building your own playable Avatar. Though you can make a number of aesthetic changes while you play, the key decision you will have to make early is which type of animal you are going to base it on. Each animal possesses a unique trait:
- Dogs restart with five rings upon dying.
- Wolves have items automatically drawn towards them when nearby.
- Rabbits have longer periods of invulnerability after being hit.
- Bears’ Wire Attacks blow nearby enemies away.
- Cats hold onto one ring after being hit.
- Birds are able to double jump.
- Hedgehogs have more time to collect lost rings upon being hit.
Deciding which option works best for you comes down to your skill and play style, but if you’re unsure and you don’t want to waste too much time with an Avatar that doesn’t suit you, try out the rental Avatars that are available when you replay stages. These are Avatars made by other players, and depending on how far they have gotten into the game, they may also possess stronger weapons and abilities.