If you’ve thought the Call of Duty franchise didn’t offer up a decent single-player challenge then prepare for some retribution. Activision has gone into some detail on its blog regarding game modes that will be included in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, and among them is YOLO mode. It is pretty much exactly what you’d expect it to be.
“This mode is unlocked after beating the game on Specialist, and well… you only live once. By that we mean genuine permadeath. If you die, you will start all the way back at the beginning of the entire game.”
Sound good? The mode can be unlocked after completing the game on Specialist Mode, which will itself unlock after completing Infinite Warfare on any difficulty. Specialist Mode will test your skills with the following:
- You can only heal with Nano Shots, there is no health regeneration in this mode.
- Helmets are your only protection from headshots. They will take permanent damage and will need to be replaced.
- Both Nano Shots and helmets take up equipment slots, so remember to equip them in your loadout on the Retribution before each level.
- Master the lean from behind cover mechanic, which will be critical for your survival. Approach the edge of cover while standing or crouching, and aim down sights when you see a chevron appear on the side of your crosshairs. You will auto-pop from behind cover as you ADS.
- If you get shot in the legs, it will impact your movement. If you get shot in either arm, it will impact your ability to use equipment or aim down sights. Note: Your weapon can be shot out of your hands.
So it will take some doing even getting there. Still, it’s good to know that Infinity Ward and Activision have the masochists covered right?