The Last of Us Part II is celebrating its one-year anniversary this week, meaning it’s officially been a year since players have embarked on that grueling journey together with Ellie as she seeks revenge. To celebrate the occasion, we’ve gathered some moments from The Last of Us Part II that have stuck with us even a year after the game’s release.
Do be warned, however, that this article contains major spoilers for the entire story of The Last of Us Part II, so stop reading if you haven’t played the game yet.
The game pretty much opens with the death of an incredibly beloved character, and if you’ve been able to avoid spoilers, this moment is both shocking and traumatizing. The game’s introduction ends with Joel being captured by the ex-Fireflies, and Ellie is forced to watch as Abby beats him to death with a golf club.
When she finally delivers the killing blow, all the sound is drowned out from Ellie’s ears and she’s unable to perceive anything around her. Her whole world is basically shattered, and so is the player’s. Joel’s death is definitely a divisive moment in The Last of Us Part II, but it’s one that’s also impossible to forget.
- The Last of Us Part II Celebrates Its First Anniversary With New Statues, Vinyl, & More
- The Last of Us Part II Gets Performance Update Today Targeting 60 FPS on PS5
- The Last of Us Part II, Hades, & Ghost of Tsushima Lead Nominations for 2021 GDC Awards
- The Last of Us Part II Director Neil Druckmann Weighs in On What Established IP He’d Like to Make a Game For
- The Last Of Us Part II Is Game of The Year at The Game Awards 2020: Full List of Winners Inside