Ghost in the Shell
Best Cyberpunk Anime
If we’re talking Japanese cyberpunk then Ghost in the Shell has to be the ultimate expression of the genre. The 1995 movie is brilliantly written and does a great job of capturing the gritty “high tech, low life” ambiance that’s so quintessentially cyberpunk.
The story takes place in Tokyo 2029 and follows a cyborg public-security agent who hunts a mysterious hacker known as the Puppet Master. It’s a plot that features many of cyberpunk’s major themes, including transhumanism, augmentation, corporate warfare, and philosophical questions about self-identity in a technologically advanced world.
The franchise continued with a movie sequel called Innocence, as well as a TV series called Standalone complex. There also that live-action movie the less of which is said the better… For our money, the original movie is the best expression of the whole saga.
- Street Fighter V Devs Reveal Early Sketches of Akira from Rival Schools
- Meet the Voice Actors of Astral Chain’s Voice Cast
- Thor 4 to Be Directed by Taika Waititi; Live-Action Akira Film Delayed
- Akira Live-Action Film Based on the Anime Set to Release in 2021
- Hollywood’s Alterations to the Story of Akira Aren’t Deal Breakers