EA Games’ latest Madden doesn’t make too many changes from last year in terms of gameplay mechanics, which means returning players will find most of the controls very familiar. Still, not everyone uses unorthodox plays like running the read option, so here’s how to use it in Madden 22 if you’re unsure.
How to Use the Read Option in Madden 22
For the uninitiated, read options give the QB the option to run themselves or hand it off to an RB depending on what they decide based on the defense they are seeing. They weren’t really a big deal in the NFL up until fairly recently as QBs have become more athletic and mobile, adding the ability to gain yardage under their own steam to their bag of tricks.
In Madden 22, it’s a great way of mixing things up and keeping your opponent guessing.
Time needed: 1 minute.
Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of how to perform a Read Option.
- Select a read option play by going to play type while selecting a play, scrolling past pass and run until you get to option.
- To hand the ball off after you hike the ball, hold X (PlayStation) / A (Xbox) after hiking it; if you want to pitch it, tab L1 (PlayStation) / LB (Xbox); or if you want to run with the QB, press nothing and wait for your QB to start scrambling.
It’s worth noting that, as alluded to earlier, you’re ideally using this technique with a QB that is quick and agile. You may find that if that isn’t the case then some teams will actually automatically switch out your starter for a speedier backup.
One last piece of advice we’ll offer is that if you’re going to pitch the ball then be very careful as it’s easy to make a fumble and lose possession.
That’s everything you should need to know about how to use the read option in Madden 22. For more tips, tricks and frequently asked questions answered, search Twinfinite for Madden 22.
- Madden 21 Next Gen Updates Includes Tweaked Playcalling, Enhanced Stats
- NPD August: Madden 21 Tops the Charts, Switch Sets New Sales Records
- 5 Most Overrated & Underrated Teams in Madden 21
- Madden 21 to Add a New “Backyard Inspired” 6v6 Game Mode Called The Yard
- Madden 21 Officially Unveiled, Check Out the Gameplay Reveal Trailer Here