There’s only a handful of options for machine guns in Destiny 2, but luckily there are some really good ones worth using in all game modes. Here are the best machine guns in Destiny 2 for PvE, PvP, and Gambit as of Beyond Light.
Machine guns are kind of a jack of all trades power weapon. While they are not the best necessarily at boss DPS or sometimes even add clear, they can be decent at everything at all ranges. This of course doesn’t apply to Xenophage which is kind of in its own category.
As a disclaimer we’re going to be focusing on machine guns that are not sunset. If you have an old favorite that you still want to use in Quickplay like Hammerhead, definitely go for it! But we’re going to be looking at shotguns that can be used in all content.
Best Machine Guns in Destiny 2 (2021)
Best in PvE, PvP & Gambit
- Commemoration (Power, Void) – Possible drop from completing encounters in the Deep Stone Crypt raid.
- Heir Apparent (Power, Solar, Exotic) – Obtained during Guardian Games seasonal event.
- Seventh Seraph SAW (Power, Arc) – Obtained in Season of the Worthy by leveling up Rasputin Bunkers.
- Thermal Erosion (Power, Solar) – Obtained by completing events on Europa.
- Thunderlord (Power, Arc, Exotic) – Random exotic world drop.
- Xenophage (Power, Solar, Exotic) – Complete the exotic quest The Journey.
To be frank, when it comes to machine guns it’s less about choosing the best and more about choosing the right one for you in the right situation.
Hands down the best machine gun for just about any situation other than clearing out enemies is Xenophage. Xenophage absolutely melts majors and bosses. If you have a team member use Divinity for you, and are a Titan with Actium War Rig, it will pump out a heavy amount of DPS.
Fortunately just about every other machine gun is great for clearing out groups of enemies, especially Thunderlord. Heir Apparent is also good at that, and will be a better option on bosses than Thunderlord. It’s kind of a jack of all trades kind of machine gun with the added utility of giving you an Arc shield.
For the legendaries pick your RPM preference. Commemoration is the closest to the old community Hammerhead at a 450, Thermal Erosion gives you that faster pace Delirium-feel, and Seventh Seraph SAW is the hardest hitting and also gives you the advantage of being able to produce Warmind Cells as an added perk if you equip Global Reach.
For PvP, your best bet is going to be something harder hitting like Commemoration or the SAW as they have better range and pumping out bullets fast with a machine gun in PvP doesn’t really give you much of an advantage as heavy machine guns always just kill other guardians with couple of a head shots. You’d rather have the range and stability.
That’s all for our best machine guns in Destiny 2 for PvE, PvP, & Gambit as of Beyond Light. If you’re interested in learning more weapon recommendations. Check out our all-encompassing lists below:
- Destiny 2 Guardian Games Ends Early With Hunters Winning
- The Sun Will Not Rise When Destiny 2’s Season of the Splicer Begins; New Content Revealed
- Latest Destiny 2 TWAB Goes Over a Host of Weapon Archetype & Perk Buffs; Confirms No Exploring Venus Next Season
- Destiny 2’s Upcoming Transmog System Detailed in Latest TWAB
- Destiny 2’s 2021 Guardian Games Unveiled With New Trailer & Info