The nimblest and most athletic basketball players have a speed advantage that helps them dribble past slower defenders. In 2K’s NBA series, that attribute is taken advantage of using a special gameplay mechanic. Here’s how to speed boost in NBA 2K21.
How to Speed Boost in NBA 2K21
Essentially, speed boosting is a term coined in NBA 2K to denote the use of dribble moves that players can quickly accelerate out of. There’s a particular button input required to use this technique, and the selected MyPlayer will also need to be of at least 86 Ball Handling skill.
It’s also worth noting the Quick First Step badge will also improve your player’s acceleration out of dribble moves. We highly recommend equipping this badge.
To perform a speed boost, hold R2 (RT on Xbox One), then flick the Right Stick Up to initiate a size-up animation, then, when the player is holding the ball to one side during the animation, use the Left Stick to run in whatever direction the ball is on to accelerate out of the animation.
So, let’s say that if during the animation your player holds the ball out to the right side for a split second during the animation, you’ll need to run off to the right using the Left Stick.
Here’s a step-by-step:
- Make sure your MyPlayer has at least 86 Ball Handling Skill and the Quick First Step badge.
- As you approach a player, hold R2, then flick the Right Analog Stick to perform a size-up dribble (you can equip any one you prefer).
- Wait for your player to hold the ball out to one side during the size-up animation, then quickly run off in that direction using the Left Analog Stick.
You can purchase and equip new dribble animations from the MyAnimations menu. The pro dribbles moves are obviously the best and most preferable, which all require at least 85 Handling Skill.
You should also see some related content below that may prove helpful. If you’re unable to find an answer to a specific question then feel free to sound off in the comment section below and we’ll do our best to lend a hand.
- NBA 2K21 Turns the Neighborhood Into an Entire City for Next-Gen
- NBA 2K21 Adds WNBA MyPlayer & Online Modes to Next-Gen Versions
- NBA 2K21 Removes MyPlayer Pie Charts & Adds 24 Takeovers for Next-Gen Versions
- NBA 2K21 Improves Movement & Contact for Next-Gen; PS5 Gets Exclusive Controller Features
- NBA 2K21: How to Change Pro Stick Aiming