Borderlands 3’s new Mayhem levels are undoubtedly tough, but rewarding. The fact that the new legendary weapons are locked behind Mayhem 6 does make for a grind with the now powered up bosses, but they aren’t all nightmares. In this one case, the boss really isn’t even all that bad, so let’s get down to it. Here’s how to get the DNA Legendary SMG and information on its stats and perks.
How to Get the DNA Legendary SMG in Boderlands 3
For the DNA, you will need to fight General Traunt on Nekrotafeyo with your game set to Mayhem 6 or above. As he is a base game boss, chances are you have already fought him and know a little of what to expect.
Teleport into Tazendeer Ruins and simply use the transport gate out to Desolation’s Edge for an extremely easy path right to General Traunt. You’ll end up at the area behind where you fight him, so just take the path on the right to get around. Once you have beaten him once, quit and reload, you will respawn right in front of the fight entrance.
If you followed the guide for The Monarch then you might already have a Transformer shield. It’s a good tool to have for this fight as half of the damage General Traunt does is shock. There’s no real trick other than just consistently put in damage.
He only has two enemies accompanying him, but they shouldn’t cause any problems during the fight, and will be easy to finish off once General Traunt is gone.
Stats and Perks
The DNA Legendary SMG functions as cross between fellow Maliwan SMGs the Destructo Spinner and the Cutsman. As with the Destructo Spinner, the DNA fires bullets that take on a random element, so it’s hard to develop a strategy for if you need a certain element against an enemy or boss. After a little distance, the bullets split into two but remain linked, very similar to the Cutsman.
As you can see with the item card, it doesn’t list any element, so the elemental damage the DNA deals is a complete mystery that you will have to figure out for yourself, which does make figuring out how useful it is a little bit of a challenge.
For a quick summary to farming the DNA Legendary SMG:
- Set your game to Mayhem 6 or above. This is a must, so it might take some farming on lower Mayhem levels for gear to keep fights from lasting forever.
- We recommended you follow The Monarch guide, as both the shield to be used against Killavolt and The Monarch themselves are great tools to have in your arsenal as you try to get the DNA Legendary SMG.
- Spawn into the Tazendeer Ruins and take the teleport gate back out to Desolation’s Edge. You’ll be on the backside of General Traunt’s fight location so you only need to move to the entrance using the path on the right.
You’re ready now, Vault Hunters. That’s all the information you need for how to get the DNA legendary SMG in Borderlands 3.
For more Mayhem 2.0 legendary weapon guides, head on over and check out our Borderlands 3 Guide Wiki.
- Borderlands 3 Season 2 Introduces New Designer & Director’s Cut Game Modes
- Borderlands 3 Next-Gen Upgrade Set to Launch Day-and-Date With New Consoles
- Borderlands 3’s Latest Hotfix Preps Game for Bloody Harvest Event
- Borderlands 3 Offers Free Next-Gen Upgrade; Adding New Skill Trees and Crossplay
- Borderlands 3 Fantastic Fustercluck: How to Get Plus Ultra Legendary Shield