Aspyr, the folks working on the updated version of fan-favorite Nintendo 64 game: Star Wars Episode 1: Racer, announced today that the title will be off to the races on May 12 for both PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch for $14.99.
Back in the day, the first movie in the prequel trilogy of Star Wars wasn’t that highly regarded among most critics or fans, with the podracing being mocked by many. However, the podracing tie-in game was a different story, and many fans have fond memories of it.
To be frank, it still feels a bit random that this is a thing, but hey I’m happy for whoever is happy. I have to imagine that a combination of Star Wars Episode 1: Racer being considered a cult classic by many, and the fact the prequel films are just a huge lovable meme now at this point in 2020, contributed at least a little in the decision to green light this updated version.
Here are some features that fans can expect via Aspyr:
- Twenty-five (25) playable racers including Anakin Skywalker, Sebulba, and Ratts Tyerell
- Race tracks spanning eight unique worlds including Tatooine, Baroonda, and Malastare
- Players can work with pit droids to upgrade podracers for higher top speeds and acceleration
- Discover short-cuts and secrets to master lap times
- Play single player campaigns or multiplayer via split-screen
Don’t pick up the game expecting it to be a massive gorgeous remake, it’s still pretty much a Nintendo 64 game, albeit with some smoother visuals and updated controls.
If you had fun playing it back in the day though, this latest version might be worth a look when it releases in a little less than a month.
- Star Wars Republic Commando Coming to PS4 and Switch in April
- Star Wars: Hunters; Free-To-Play Multiplayer Game Coming This Year to Nintendo Switch
- 5 Features Ubisoft’s Star Wars Game Needs For Success
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: How to Unlock All Weapons
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: How to Spend Credits & Unlock Items in Celebration Edition