Sniper rifles in Destiny 2 have had a bit of an up and down history, but it appears that on the cusp of the start of Shadowkeep they are finally here to stay. Snipers are fun to use in Destiny 2, so we here at Twinfinite welcome our new overlords. In this guide, we’re going to go over the best sniper rifles to use in PvE, PvP, and Gambit in Destiny 2, so you can pad your collection out with useful weapons.
There’s a bit of crossover between the two lists, but for the most part it shakes out like this. Exotic weapons are more meta in PvE, while legendary weapons dominate the Crucible and PvP for snipers.
While DARCI right now has overshadowed Whisper of the Worm in situations where you want to use a sniper to burn down a boss such as Scourge of the Past, the Shadowkeep meta, which will no longer auto-reload, will likely see the return of Whisper and the introduction of Izanagi’s Burden as top tier weapons.
Even before Destiny 2: Shadowkeep though, pretty much all of the exotic snipers are solid. Borealis is a lot more niche and should only be used when there’s rotating elemental damage and/or there are lots of enemy shield variety, but it is definitely quite useful in those scenarios.
Solid legendary sniper rifle options for PvE in Destiny 2 include Alone as a God (a primary slot sniper) and Dreaded Venture.
Best Destiny 2 Sniper Rifles
Best for PvE
- Alone as a God (Kinetic) – Random drop from the Leviathan raid.
- Beloved (Energy, Solar) – Reward from the Menagerie/Chalice of Opulence.
- Borealis (Energy, All Three) – Random rare exotic world drop. It can swap between all three energy types.
- DARCI (Power, Arc) – Random rare exotic world drop. Extremely high precision damage once locked-on.
- Dreaded Venture (Kinetic) – Random reward from Gambit.
- Ikelos_SR (Energy, Solar) – Clear the correct Escalation Protocol wave 7 boss. Check out our EP guide here to see when you can farm this.
- Izanagi’s Burden (Kinetic) – Complete the Mysterious Box exotic quest. Can combine ammo into one super-charged shot.
- Whisper of the Worm (Power, Solar) – Complete the Io Anomaly exotic quest. Return ammo from reserves on precision hits.