Sidearms in Destiny 2: Season of Dawn received some attention finally and some more interesting options have emerge. These are the best Destiny 2 sidearms for PvE, PvP & Gambit.
For PvE and Gambit (you should never be invading with a Sidearm as plan A, so this is for clearing adds), there are a few options worth noting.
Let’s start with the weapon type’s only exotic until Devil’s Ruin comes out, Rat King. While it’s kind of a joke to a lot of people in the Destiny 2 community, it is sneaky decent provided you can cover your damage with your other two weapon slots.
The Rat King is as good as sidearms get at close range, plus it has the added utility of being able to go invisible, which is really a nice perk in a dangerous spot. And yeah, if you wanted to get six people running Rat King to kill stuff, it can be done.
Drang is also a very good all-around sidearm as well but it obviously doesn’t shine as much as it can if you don’t plan on using Sturm with it.
Smuggler’s Word with the right perks is extremely powerful across all game modes (at least for situations where a sidearm is helpful), and the most easily obtainable Vestian Dynasty has some nice perks as well that you don’t have to grind for (Kill Clip and Dragonfly).
The Vanguard Ritual Weapon for Season of Dawn, Buzzard, has the perk Osmosis which allows it to change its damage to energy and matches your current subclass element whenever you use a grenade. What’s nice about this is that it’s in the Kinetic slot, meaning if you wanted to you could run a weapon of all three elements by taking advantage of this perk.
Best Destiny 2 Sidearms
Best for PvE & Gambit
- Buzzard (Kinetic) – Complete the Season of Dawn ritual weapon quest, Anything that moves.
- Drang (Energy, Solar) – Complete the quest, My Captain on Nessus.
- Rat King (Kinetic, Exotic) – Complete the exotic quest Rat King’s Crew.
- Smuggler’s Word (Kinetic) – Random legendary world drop and from engrams.
- Translation Theory (Energy, Solar) – Random legendary world drop and from engrams.
- Vestian Dynasty (Energy, Arc) – Obtained in the Forsaken campaign. Random world drop.