Auto rifles have been in a weird spot for a while now in Destiny 2. They are still OK… but they kind of feel like pea-shooters sometimes, so in order to get the most out of this weapon archetype, you got to make sure you’re using the best ones. These are the best auto rifles for PvE, PvP, and Gambit in Destiny 2.
Now normally, I would go on about how Breakneck is clearly the best legendary auto rifle right now in Destiny 2 for PvE and Gambit, maybe even overall. However, it’s due to be nerfed when Shadowkeep goes live, so it might not be nearly as effective after that. We’ll have to wait and see.
Aside from Breakneck, year two weapons such as Tigerspite, The Ringing Nail, and Hazard of the Cast all roll with pretty great perks and pack a decent punch.
The usual perk spread of Rampage, Outlaw, and Kill Clip are all generally pretty great but keep in mind it could change once the Destiny 2: Shadowkeep meta settles down.
Hard Light, the only exotic we have on the PvE list, is actually not that great of a gun. However, it does have the useful perk of being able to switch elements, which is very handy for Prism and anything that throws a ton of shielded enemies at you like Dungeons, Nightfalls, and secret missions.
Best Auto Rifles in Destiny 2
Best for PvE and Gambit
- Breakneck (Kinetic) – Obtained via Gambit pinnacle weapon obtained from the Drifter after completing the quest Breakneck.
- Galhran’s Right Hand (Energy, Void) – Possible drop from completing encounters in the raid Crown of Sorrows.
- Gnawing Hunger (Kinetic) – Possible drop from completing Gambit Prime matches and tier 2, tier 3 runs of The Reckoning.
- Hard Light (Energy, Exotic) – Rare exotic world drop.
- Hazard of the Cast (Kinetic) – Possible drop from completing Gambit matches.
- The Ringing Nail (Energy, Solar) – Complete power Black Armory auto rifle frames from Ada-1.
- Tigerspite (Kinetic) – Possible drop from completing activities in The Dreaming City.