Castle Crashers Remastered is coming to Nintendo Switch on Sept. 17, and PS4 sometime “shortly” thereafter, developer The Behemoth announced today with a new trailer and blog post.
The whimsical 2D beat em’ up first launched on Xbox 360 in 2008 and then on Xbox One as a remastered version in 2015. It’s arrival on Switch and PS4 platforms later this year will mark the first Behemoth game on Nintendo and Sony hardware for a decade.
It’s explained that technical challenges have delayed their release:
“…while we’re beyond excited to be bringing Castle Crashers to modern consoles, making that leap has come with a number of difficult development challenges.
Some of these challenges took us longer than expected to work through; in fact, the PlayStation 4 version of the game is still going through it’s final approval processes, which is why we are not yet confirming it’s exact launch date.”
Players can expect a number of new features and improvements when the game finally does hit both platforms –though sadly crossplay isn’t one of them.
- The fast-paced and frantic mini-game “Back Off Barbarian” that you can play by yourself or with your friends
- Texture sizes are five times greater than the original game, which means the game is five times more beautiful
- 60 frames per second gameplay! (The original ran at 30FPS which is not nearly as smooth)
- All previously released downloadable content including characters, weapons, and animal orbs will be available to unlock in-game
- Various performance updates and improvements to gameplay and online multiplayer
Friends can look forward to co-operative action with up to four players online with PS4 and Switch, while Switch also features to 4-player local Joy-Con both support.
Check out the trailer below:
Another game soon releasing on Switch is Dragon Quest XI, which was revealed in more details via some new screenshots yesterday.