Team Sonic Racing has a ton of different items and power-ups, known as Wisps, that you can use while you’re racing through its various tracks. Collecting the red spheres on a track will grant you one item to use, but you need to know how to do it first. Here’s how to use items and throw them behind you in Team Sonic Racing.
How to Use Items & Throw Them Behind You in Team Sonic Racing
Once you’ve collected one of the red item spheres during a race, you’ll see its icon pop up in the top right of your screen, inside the item box. Now all you have to do in order to use it is simply hit the X button (A on Xbox One and B on Switch).
There are certain Wisps in Team Sonic Racing that can be thrown behind you, like the Cube or Rocket, and luckily doing it is easy enough. When you have an item like that equipped what you want to do is tilt back on the left stick, then hit circle (B, A) to launch the item behind you.
For example, in the case of the Cube, it’ll drop one right behind your car, whereas the rocket will fire off straight behind you. If you want, you can also hold the square button (X, Y) to look behind you and aim.
You can also send and receive Item Box Requests from your teammates during a race. If you get an Item Box Request it’ll pop up on the top of the screen and you can hit circle (B, A) to accept it. Likewise, if you have an item you don’t want, you can hit circle to send a request out to your teammates.
All Items in Team Sonic Racing
In case you’re a little foggy on anything, here’s a full list of all the items in Team Sonic Racing and what each one does.
- Black Bomb – Fires a bomb that bounces and explodes either in front or behind you.
- Blue Cube – Shoot a cube straight ahead that acts as an obstacle. You can also drop it behind, or use it to block an incoming projectile.
- Blue Cube x3 – Grants 3 cubes.
- Crimson Eagle – Shoots a homing rocket that tracks down the closest opponent.
- Cyan Laser – Fires a laser straight ahead of you for roughly 10-15 seconds, enemies hit with the laser will spin out.
- Gray Quake – Seeks the front racer and then crashes into the ground, causing giant rock pillars to appear as obstacles.
- Ivory Lightning – Fires a lightning strike that hits all other racers besides your team, making them spin out.
- Invincibility – Just what it sounds like, grants invincibility to everything for about 10-15 seconds.
- Jade Ghost – Allows you to avoid all damage and slowdown effects for a short period, then at the end steals the nearest opponent’s Wisp.
- Magenta Rythm – Blinds all opponents by causing music notes to appear on their screen.
- Orange Rocket – Fires a rocket straight ahead that can bounce off walls and will hit one enemy if it comes into contact with them. Can also be fired behind.
- Orange Rocket x3 – Grants 3 rockets.
- Pink Spikes – Makes three spikes rotate around you for about 15 seconds. The spikes will actively hit nearby enemies, block projectiles, and grab rings.
- Red Burst – Cause a fiery trail to appear behind you. If an opponent hits the trail they’ll spin out.
- Violet Void – Causes a mini black hole to appear above you for roughly 15 seconds, sucking in any rings, items, and projectiles.
- White Boost – Gives you an instant boost when used.
- White Boost x3 – Grants 3 speed boosts.
- Yellow Drill – Turns you into a giant yellow drill for about 10 seconds, causing you to surge ahead with invincibility.
That’s everything you need to know about how to use items and throw them behind you in Team Sonic Racing. For even more tips, guides, and info make sure to search Twinfinite.
Team Sonic Racing is currently available for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.