During the Nintendo World Championship on Monday, one of the qualifying rounds was a new 3DS game from Nintendo called Blast Ball. Many speculated that it looked quite Metroid-inspired, and now we see that speculation is well founded. Nintendo revealed during their 2015 E3 Digital Event that Blast Ball is, in fact, part of the new Metroid title, Metroid Prime: Federation Force.
We saw nothing of the series’ mainstay heroine Samus Aran, which seems an odd choice since we haven’t seen a new game in the franchise since 2010’s Metroid: Other M.
We got a taste of the Blast Ball portion of Federation Force at the Nintendo World Championship, which is a 3v3 sportsball kind of game with an intergalactic twist. It definitely looks like a fun mini-game, but only time will tell if Metroid Prime: Federation Force as a whole will satisfy fans of the franchise.
Metroid Prime: Federation Force is slated for a 2016 release on the Nintendo 3DS.
We’ve grabbed some more details for you from Nintendo’s website for Federation Force, where you can find more screenshots. Check it out!
- Up to 4 players take on a variety of co-op missions in this first-person, sci-fi shooter set in the Metroid universe
- Work together as a team to clear out enemy-infested bases and complete objective-based mission
- Take on enemies with a blaster and special sub-weapons
- Aim using the Nintendo 3DS system’s gyroscope
- Join a pick-up game of Blast Ball, a 3-on-3 sci-fi sport in the Metroid universe where players shoot the ball into the opponent’s goal to score