Sales were up 46 percent.
The Nintendo Switch has been selling well, really, really well. But with another major Nintendo release scheduled for next week, the hybrid home/mobile games console sold drastically better in Nintendo’s home country of Japan last week than the week before.
MCV reports that Japanese Switch sales saw a 46 percent week-over-week jump for the period ending July 9, with Nintendo selling 36,000 units. That was good enough for nearly 45 percent of all Japanese games hardware sales for the week. Impressively, this all happened during a week without a single new release for the console. But Nintendo has another significant game right on the horizon with July 21’s Splatoon 2.
The PlayStation 4 trailed Switch by a wide margin, selling 21,506 units:
1. Nintendo Switch, 36,143
2. PS4, 21,506
3. New Nintendo 3DS XL, 8,891
4. PS4 Pro, 6,908
5. PS Vita, 4,678
6. Nintendo 2DS, 2,019
7. New Nintendo 3DS, 228
8. Wii U, 176
9. PS3, 96
10. Xbox One S, 68
The top game from last week, however, was PlayStation 4 new release Gundam Versus, which moved 121,278 units. It may have been mostly existing PS4 owners who rushed out to buy Gundam, as that console’s sales remained mostly flat.
Nintendo, meanwhile, had three Switch games in the top-10 sellers list. Here’s the full list:
1. Gundam Versus (PS4), Bandai Namco Entertainment, 121,278 (New)
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch), Nintendo, 11,592
3. Omega Labyrinth Z (Vita), D3 Publisher, 10,918 (New)
4. ARMS (Switch), Nintendo, 10,246
5. Omega Labyrinth Z (PS4), D3 Publisher, 9,449 (New)
6. Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS), Atlus, 5,306
7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Nintendo, 5,061
8. Farpoint (PS4), Sony, 3,847
9. Portal Knights (PS4), Spike Chunsoft, 3,807
10. Monster Hunter XX (3DS), Capcom, 3,610