Also improves HDMI switching when docked in Sleep mode.
The Nintendo Switch received an update to its firmware today, version 3.0.0, bringing new features and improvements to the system.
The update makes the Nintendo Switch’s Friend List easier to add friends from past Nintendo systems, including the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, and see when friends are online with notifications. Users can also change the user icon order on the Home Menu, while adding six new character icons from Nintendo’s upcoming multiplayer game Splatoon 2.
Additionally, the Switch can enable the vibration in lost, paired controllers to more easily find them and use the Pro Controller while wired to the system using the USB charging cable. The update also improves HDMI switching while the console is docked in Sleep Mode for users with televisions that support the feature. The problem has existed since the console’s launch last March.
Check out the full update notes, via Nintendo, below.
Improvements Included in Version 3.0.0
Added the following system functionality
- Register a channel to receive News for specific games
To register, head to News > Find Channels
- Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
To add friends, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Friend Suggestions
- Receive notifications when your Friends go online
To turn this ON/OFF, head to System Settings > Notifications > Friend Notifications
- Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature
To search, head to Controllers > Find Controllers
- Change the user icon order on the Home Menu
To change order, head to System Settings > Users > Change Order
- Select from 6 new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon
To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Change the system volume from the Quick Settings
To access Quick Settings, hold down the HOME Button
- Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack
To lower the max headphone volume, head to System Settings > System > Lower Max Headphone Volume
* This settings will be ON when Parental Controls are enabled
- Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
To use this feature, head to System Settings > System > Change Display Colors
- Connect a USB keyboard to the dock to type whenever the keyboard is on the screen
- Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable
To enable, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Pro Controller Wired Communication
* The NFC touchpoint on the Pro Controller will be disabled while the controller is using wired communication.
- Update connected controllers
To update, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers
- Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data if there is insufficient space when downloading other software
To use this feature, head to System Settings > Data Management > Quick Archive
* User save data is not deleted
General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting
- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode