In an interview with Polygon during E3 2016, Hideo Kojima briefly touched on the plans Konami had for his studio leading up to his departure from the company. The plan would have set up an annual game cycle in which Kojima Productions and Kojima Productions LA would take turns releasing a game every year, similar to Call of Duty’s release schedule prior to the release of Advanced Warfare.
“About the [Kojima Productions] LA studio, the mission was, at that point, to put something out from the IP line every year,” Kojima said. There would be “two [game franchises] running in parallel in Tokyo and LA,” said Kojima.
“That is not our current strategy,” he said. “We want to put out something as handmade as possible. We’re not thinking about [product] lines so much; I’m thinking about our team. I’m not thinking about doing a huge Western studio.”
It’s clear that the IP in question would have likely included a yearly edition of Metal Gear Solid, especially after the tremendous critical success of The Phantom Pain last year. It seems like Konami wanted to utilize having two studios familiar with the Fox engine tools and capitalize on MGS’s momentum.
During Sony’s E3 press conference this past Monday night, Kojima took the stage to officially announce his next project, Death Stranding, with an incredibly unnerving and intriguing trailer.. The game will star Norman Reedus (who also starred in the cancelled horror darling PT: Playable Teaser), and considering the new Kojima Productions is merely six months old, it’s probably several years off from a release.
What do you think of this news? Let us know in the comments below, and keep tuned to Twinfinite for more E3 2016 coverage through the week.