Genji is a fascinating Overwatch character. He’s not the easiest to use by any means, relying on speed and mobility to get him in close for a kill. Most skilled players know to keep their distance from this ninja, mitigating a lot of the threat he poses. But, that doesn’t mean he’s a bad character to use. Like all other Heroes in Overwatch, Genji is special in his own way.
Thanks to his Deflect ability, he’s able to block and return attacks to aggressors. When used right, you essentially become the ultimate defense for not only yourself, but your team as well.
Genji can Deflect pretty much all projectile attacks. He can even block melee attacks with the ability, although the damage won’t be deflected, only stopped. What he can’t Deflect, however, are channeled, or energy based attacks which include:
- Mei’s Frost Beam
- Winston’s Lighting
- Symmetra’s Beam
- Symmetra’s Turrets
- Zarya’s Beam
Everything else is fair game. What helps this particular ability shine extra bright, though, is that it can deflect Ultimates. Now he can’t deflect them all, but we’ve put together a list of each one he can block and return:
- McCree’s Deadeye
- Pharah’s Ultimate Barrage
- Reaper’s Death Blossom (only reflecting the bullets aiming at you)
- Soldier: 76’s Tactical Visor
- Tracer’s Pulse Bomb (must deflect it when thrown)
- Bastion’s Tank Mode Blasts
- Mei’s Blizzard (makes it work against her and her own team)
- Hanzo’s Dragonstrike (Must deflect the arrow that starts the attack)
- Road Hog’s Whole Hog (will knock him back)
- Winston’s Primal Rage (you’ll take no damage, but will be knocked back)
- Zarya’s Graviton Surge (only if she fires it at you)
Anything that isn’t a projectile based Ultimate, such as D.Va’s Self-Destruct and Reinhardt’s Earthshatter, cannot be blocked, so just run. Also, any Hero who has an Ultimate that isn’t attack can’t technically be blocked, although you can still Deflect Torbjorn’s turret even when Molten Core is activated (which provides some extra damage).
For more guides, tips, tricks, and features on Overwatch, be sure to check out our wiki.