Nintendo’s NFC figures – amiibo – have always seemed like competition for other toy-to-life figures such as Disney Infinity and Skylanders. Now two of them appear to be teaming up for an epic new adventure.
Two new amiibo are coming out soon – Turbo Charged Donkey Kong (with Barrel Blaster vehicle) and Hammerslam Bowser (with vehicle Slam Cruiser) that are being made primarily for use with Skylanders SuperChargers.
To be honest, the DK and Bowser amiibo both look like they belong in Mad Max, which is nothing if not awesome. It was announced that these new amiibo will be compatible with other titles as well, though those were not detailed at this time. Skylanders: SuperChargers will release for the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS on September 20.
Now, straight from Nintendo’s website, here are some details about Skylanders: SuperChargers!
- Skylanders SuperChargers introduces 20 new SuperChargers toys and supports all 300+ Skylanders toys from previous games, enabling any Skylanders character to pilot land, sea or sky-based vehicles.
- Vehicles-to-Life – For the first time, players can take their Skylanders vehicles straight from the real world into the videogame via the Portal of Power to explore the land, sea and skies of Skylands.
- Customized Vehicles – SuperChargers will have the ability to customize vehicles in-game with super cool modifications and upgradeable weapons.
- SuperCharged Combos – For the ultimate gaming experience, players can pair a SuperCharger Skylander with its unique signature vehicle to create a SuperCharged combination, unlocking an exclusive mod that revs up the performance of both the vehicle and character.
- For the first time in Skylanders history, two of Nintendo’s iconic characters — Donkey Kong and Bowser — will guest star in Skylanders SuperChargers.
- These special Skylanders will be playable in both Skylanders SuperChargers and select amiibo-compatible games with a simple twist of the character’s base.
- Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Hammer Slam Bowser will be exclusively playable on the following Nintendo platforms: Wii U, Wii and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
- Enjoy the full game in off-TV mode through the Wii U Gamepad.