Microsoft has been putting out system updates for the Xbox One like clockwork ever since the release of Titanfall back in March. The updates give consumers a little something to look forward to each month as they wait to see how their Xbox experience will improve. This month brings several long-awaited features and lots of free stuff on top!
Removal of Xbox Live Paywall
– The paywall that blocked Xbox users that didn’t have a Gold membership from using subscription apps such as Netflix or Hulu Plus has been taken down. This means their catalogue of 180 apps is absolutely free and accessible to any Xbox owner.
Real Names for Friends
– A feature that has been available since the PS4’s launch and finally coming to Xbox One is the ability to display the real name of your friends on Xbox Live. This means you’ll no longer have to strain to remember who is who when searching through your friends list.
– With the Xbox One’s 500GB hard drive, users are already feeling the fear of running out of space. The June update will allow users to plug in their external hard drive (256GB or more) and copy/move/store their games and apps off of their console.
– The Xbox One’s mobile companion app, SmartGlass, is set to improve with a slew of new features. The Smartglass app will now feature the entire OneGuide experience and Universal Remote Control used for watching TV. This comes with features such as friend notifications, activity feed, comparing achievements, and even watch a friend’s game broadcast through the app!
Games with Gold
– Free games! Xbox’s Games with Gold program finally comes to Xbox One with Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault available to all Xbox Live Gold members.
Free Hulu Plus!
– The surprise that Microsoft added to this update is that all Xbox Live Gold Members will receive a free 3 month trial of Hulu Plus regardless of whether or not you already pay for the service. More binge-watching!
Excited for the new features? Excited for free stuff? Go download and let us know what you think!